Newbie and know it- carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie and know it- carb help

1979 Gs550- bike just had carbs cleaned (dipped) and bike still is idling poor and only with the choke up. New gas, new plugs, battery good, wiring good. Like I said I am a newbie so bare with me here but it seems as thought I am not getting enough fuel/air mixture here. Attached is a pic of the carbs- can someone tell me what the knob between the 2nd and 3rd bowl is- what is its purpose?

it's your idle screw

did you do the dip, or was it done by someone ? did you install all new O rings, you can get them from www.cycleorings.com

did you bench sync, and then do a carb tune ?

hopefully you had them fully taken apart, completely cleaned and then reassembled....

get your carb rebuild tutorial here - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

thats actually what I thought- its awfully tight. anyone know what factory turn it should be set to? I do not have a manual

Comment

Originally posted by gs550ray View Post
        thats actually what I thought- its awfully tight. anyone know what factory turn it should be set to? I do not have a manual
        If you go to the link as provided above, you can download the authentic Suzuki factory service manual for free.

As for your bike, please check the newbie mistake thread linked in my signature to see if anything rings a bell.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Adjust it until your idle settles down around 1100 rpm and then synch your carbs.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That's the idle adjustment. Make sure the mixture screw is 2 -2.5 turns out. Make sure the air box is sealed. Did they replace the intake O rings when the carbs were done ?

Comment

Originally posted by gs550ray View Post
              there is no factory setting for idle, you adjust until you get the correct idle speed, about 1100 rpms +/-

Comment

i had our local dealer do the cleaning- yes everything was taken completely apart and o rings and anything that needed replacing was done. Thank you all for your help I didnt anticipate an answer so quickly let alone several. appreciate it

Comment

if all the work was done by a dealer, why is the bike running rough, I'd take it back and have them do the work correctly, especially if you paid for it...

Comment

I just took the carbs themselves in. Sure enough I literally just adjusted the idle settings and sure enough with a little patience its sitting at 1100 rpms. Im up and running. thanks everyone- ray.

Comment

Beautiful......

Glad to hear.....

another satisfied customer....LOL

Comment

Make sure you synch them properly and adjust the mixture screws using the highest idle method. If you don't have a Carbtune or other vacuum gauge, then post up your location in your profile. One of us might be close enough to lend a hand.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                        X