Am I missing my exhaust gasket's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I missing my exhaust gasket's

I don't believe I am because I don't have an exhaust leak. Other than the tiny one by a broken bolt. And I couldn't even hear it. I just seen it when I took the exhaust apart to fix the bolt.

I wouldn't have even thought anything was missing until I looked at a part's Fische. I've try picking at the port in the head, but can't seem to get anything to break loose. I have looked at pic's of the gasket's on ebay, but I don't see anything that looks like them. Unless of course they are just smashed into place and I just can't tell what they are.

So do you guy's think I'm missing the gasket's and they just don't leak,,or what. Thanks

It looks like it's in there looking at your first picture and you see the thin line just inside on the right side of the exhaust port. Take a pick right there, or even a screw driver, and see if it doesn't pry apart. They are sometimes hard to see unless you know what you are looking for.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ya, I figured they had to be in there. But you never know what a PO has done.

Should I put new ones in since I have it tore apart.

Comment

yes get new ones....

they are only a couple of bucks each....and new ones will insure you will not have a leak...

Comment

Are they made of a fiber material, or metal,,,or both,,,lol. I just tried picking it out and couldn't get anything to move. Is it one of those thing's that I would have to destroy, like a trani seal on a car,,, to get it out.

Comment

yes, some metal and and inbetween some composite material, they get squished and baked into place, use a really flat tin screwdriver, or a dental pick, it could be in there hard and might take a bit of force to get them out...

you will probably destroy them

Comment

Gatekeeper is right; fortunately, they aren't that expensive to replace - about $4 a piece.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I got em.

I did the first one like a trani seal. I damaged it, then grabbed hold of a piece of it with a pair of channel locks. It just unraveled like a biscuit container. I had to unravel 2. The other 2 I was able to just grab them and pull them right out.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Gatekeeper is right; fortunately, they aren't that expensive to replace - about $4 a piece.
                  I hope they're that cheap. I now need 4.

Knowing my luck no one local will have them and I'll have to order them.

Thanks for the help guy's.

Comment

They are from Boulevard Suzuki (just checked when I posted it a minute ago); you'll probably pay closer to $6 at a few other places.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Hopefully I can come up with them before I get all my part's in that I need from the guy backing into my bike.

I'm getting ready to start a thread in appearance about that one.

Comment

Can get them here for $1.66 each. Usually very quick service too.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                          Can get them here for $1.66 each. Usually very quick service too.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/Exhaust...R750-1602.aspx

Dang it. I wish I would have thought of this sooner. I just ordered rear brake pads and neck bearings from them. They'll be here tomorrow.

Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                          X