carbs flooding on my 1150, very weird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs flooding on my 1150, very weird!

hey guys, fuel is gushing out of the smaller right side hole on the air intake side just after 2nd rebuild, on all 4 carbs, its really weird!
    heres the history of the carbs in the last few months: I cleaned and rebuild my carbs few months ago beacuse I had no fuel filter and had some rust in my tank and my bike wasnt idleing well, tore them down to the shell, seperated and soaked them over night, blew them out with compressed air over and over, installed new o-rings between the fuel hard line connectors. Got them back on my bike which had other issues and so the bike sat again another month or longer, I went to start the bike after figuring out my starter issue and the carbs with flooding fuel out the air intake side, I pulled the carbs again and blew them out a ton, hit them with some carb clean a bunch, shined light through where I could, got them on the bike and now they flood like the floats are stuck but engine starts and then it stops, but the bike still wont run right, pulled them out again and pulled the bowls off and let them fill with water and lifted the floats to make sure they cut off and they do, but then the water comes flowing out that small hole again, what could the problem be? Im baffled....
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM.

What "small hole" does that water come through when you lift the floats? Pics would help.

If it dribbles past the float valve, you could have bad o-rings under the needle seat.

Check your oil for gas. If there's gas in there, change the oil and filter before starting the bike again.

What did you set the float height at?

Comment

the smaller hole on the right is where fuel is coming out from, float heights are level, I checked each one with a friend carefully, the float needles cutoff the fuel correctly...

Comment

all the carbs are roughly leaking at the same time out the back through that hole where the air filters are so the fuel doesnt seem to be going towards the engine side into the oil, I have KN pod air filters...
        tearing the carbs back down right now...
        Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

If gas gets into the pods, it can also overflow the other way, into the crankcase. Check that oil.

If your needles are sealing properly, then the fuel is coming into the system somewhere else. The chief suspect is the petcock. Check the vacuum line.

Not as familiar with CV carbs, but that hole provides air for either the pilot circuit or the choke. Shoot some cleaner into the hole and see where it comes out. I doubt that it is a direct connection to the fuel system, though. So you need to hunt down where the fuel is entering the carbs when it shouldn't.

Comment

wondering what those nipples are on the side of the carbs, do they need rubber cover caps on them? some of them have caps, not sure what they are for...

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              If gas gets into the pods, it can also overflow the other way, into the crankcase. Check that oil.

If your needles are sealing properly, then the fuel is coming into the system somewhere else. The chief suspect is the petcock. Check the vacuum line.

Not as familiar with CV carbs, but that hole provides air for either the pilot circuit or the choke. Shoot some cleaner into the hole and see where it comes out. I doubt that it is a direct connection to the fuel system, though. So you need to hunt down where the fuel is entering the carbs when it shouldn't.
              thanks, vacume line from petcock? like it gets stuck? when the petcock fuel lines are disconnected from the bike it doesnt leak fuel...is there a blowup pic somewhere of these carbs and where everything goes/is?

Comment

Not as familiar with CV carbs, but that hole provides air for either the pilot circuit or the choke.
                Actually, that is the air feed for the needle jet.

The "choke" air inlet is the large opening at the top, the pilot air jet is in the hole at the 8 o'clock position.

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
                wondering what those nipples are on the side of the carbs, do they need rubber cover caps on them? some of them have caps, not sure what they are for...
                You should only have one of those nipples on carb #2. That is the vacuum port that is supposed to be connected to the petcock to turn on the fuel when the engine starts.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Either your floats are sticking, you have crud behind the float valve, the needle valves are worn or fuel is leaking around the O ring on the seat.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
                    I cleaned and rebuild my carbs few months ago ...
                    Why are they so dirty already?

If you had dipped the carbs overnight (each), they should still be looking rather new.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Actually, that is the air feed for the needle jet.

The "choke" air inlet is the large opening at the top, the pilot air jet is in the hole at the 8 o'clock position.

Foolish CV carbs! Why would fuel leak from that hole?

Comment

rebuilt the carbs the first time after the bike had sat for awhile and was bogging down and the idle was all over the place when I took it out for a ride, so i figured they got gummed up a bit, after I rebuilt them and I got them in I had a really bad starter sticking problem and so the bike sat again, got that sorted and now fuel leaking out the air pods, we are cleaning them out now and check them over again...

Comment

Foolish CV carbs! Why would fuel leak from that hole?
                          Because they are the lowest holes that fuel can escape from if the float valves aren't doing their job. No overflows like on VMs.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

do you have to adjust the floats float height as the float needles wear? maybe my needles are really worn and I need new ones or the floats float height needs to be set completely over?

Comment

You need to look at the needles with a magnifying glass ideally. If you can see a wear line on the point they need replacing. Don't try and adjust the float heights to compensate - it doesn't work and your mixture will go all to cock.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X