No announcement yet.

carbs flooding on my 1150, very weird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is some wear on them, Ill get a new set, should I buy any other parts for the carbs too?

Comment

I just called the dealer, $40 bux each needle for the float, that doesnt sound right...

Comment

OEM are a little spendy.

You might want to consider getting the seats with the o ring as well:

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

Or if you just want to go with the needles:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

But you don't need 6!
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Change the oil too before you run it any more, its full of gas

Comment

ordered some new float needles from Cycle Gear near my house, 32 bucks for 6 of them, should be here in a few days, got some new orings installed on the float needle seats too...hopefully this will do the trick...

Comment

I got the new float needles, installed them and the carbs are still leaking fuel out that same hole, tore the carbs down and seperated them, checked them over very carefully and cant find anything blocking the passages, Im starting to think its the vacume pull on the petcock, if that isnt working right could it make the carbs gush fuel like this? and what would the fix for it be?

Comment

What level did you set for the float height? If your needles are functioning, then the floats may be set too high.

Another thing to check are your bowl gaskets. I had an overflow problem when one of my bowl gaskets was interfering with the float. Since those two parts only interact when the bowl is in place, you won't see the snag happen. With the carbs inverted and the bowl removed, put the gasket on and see if the edges get too close to the float. I think the gaskets swell a bit when there is fuel flowing, so even if it doesn't quite touch the float, make sure there is some clearance there.

HTH

Comment

not sure exactly what they are at but we didnt change them too much from what they were when the bike ran...

Comment

Did you rip the o-ring on the float seat (inlet valve)
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Did you rip the o-ring on the float seat (inlet valve)
                      shouldnt have, they are brand new (good ones from an o-ring supplier here in SJ) and installed with a tad of oil so they slide in...

will check float height next, and then petcock vacume line...

Comment

If the petcock is leaking by when the motor is running then it definately would overflow. But only if ur needle isn't seating. I don't know about your cv carbs I have vms but my vms float need seat into a fitting that screws into the housing. Some hav o rings some have gaskets. That could be an issue too. With the floats if they all were never messed with then most likely they don't need to be messed with. Stock settings are golden.

Have you tried experimenting with this off the bike? With a tank with no valve on the line so there is head pressure all the time? See what happens. Being that you have messed with this so much you probly know where that hole leads to in the bowl and then find out what is the problem?

I really want to know the answer to! How irritating. Good luck man.

Comment

MAKE SURE YOUR VENT LINES ARE NOT CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER. OR PLUGGED?? Each carb has a vent line that needs to have a line on it, and just goes to no where. if you have them connected together, or they are plugged off , the bowl will not vent, instead the gas will have no where to go, like trying to blow into a pop bottle. the hole where the gas is comng from then acts as a vent. The weight and force of the gas flowing , instead of filling the float chamber to the proper height, will instead find another way out. thru the pilot jet and out the rear air bleed hole!!.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
                            wondering what those nipples are on the side of the carbs, do they need rubber cover caps on them? some of them have caps, not sure what they are for...
                            looks like you have the VENTS PLUGGED??? that will do exactly what you are experienceing.

Comment

Those vents on each carb used to go to a charcoal canister for anti-pollution BS.
                              I plug mine.
                              The vent lines should not be plugged.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Those are the 2 vents, they should have a line on them that runs down and out from the bike. It sounds like you did NOT properly dip, and rebuild these carbs. There is a complete detailed manual on doing ANYTHING to these carbs on Basscliffs sight. I'm sure someone can point you there if you can't find it. For your immediat problem of leaking fuel, it sounds to me like you didn't properly adjust your float hight to spec (also found in the carb tutorial). I would start there....
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X