Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read the tea leaves (?) [plugs]

This is a continuation of the "bogging in mid-high throttle"

I performed a compression check to see if I had something funny going on. The results are not stellar, but they are consistent at 1: 107; 2: 106; 3: 110; 4: 107. [absolute air pressure is typically 12.5 psi at this altitude so I think it's reasonable].

But WHOA, what did I find when I pulled the plugs to do the compression check.

As a group

#1 - Pretty white

#2 - Not quite as white as there is a little bit of gray, wondering if it was some anti-seize as I pulled it out

#3 - Looking damp with some brown.

#4 - Wow. WOW!

These were new plugs that have just been subjected to carb synching, about 5 miles up and down the street to check out the work, and about another 5 to the gas station and back.

I know I need to adjust 4.

3 I need to check to make sure that it's firing (might explain why I had problems syncing and this was much lower than the others (new plug caps)

1 and 2 have me partially worried - though no chalky deposits.

I now open it op for comments and additional questions.

Hi babes.

What filter are you using?
    Is it oiled?
    Is it oiled too much (see- wont rev.over 4500 post)
    Other than that, if thay are all so different, then maybe the carbs arent all clean inside and you have "flow" issues....
    Are the jet gauzes clean?
    Is the tank rust free?
    Are they all sync'd together?
    Sorry if im asking stuff youve already covered)

What about the coils/ht leads/ ht caps?
    Have you checked valve/shim clearences?

Xxx

Comment

I saw your earlier post regarding jet and needle settings, so it looks like you found your problem. I would look at the float height on carb four, as well as verifying the pilot jet is properly seated and the rubber plug is in good condition. Also recheck the idle mixture screw setting on that cylinder.

Don't worry too much about the other plugs just yet. Modern automotive fuel with no lead and with alcohol simply does not give good plug "readings" like the old gas did. I've seen plugs wet with fuel that did not look black and sooty like they would've on the old gas, and the "burned white" from too lean is very hard to discern compared to the old gas, especially when you have almost no miles on those plugs.

Comment

Took advantage of the holiday and tore into the rack. Doing my responsible shop duty of draining the bowls into a container before disassembly, I discovered the "funkiness" of the third plug--NO gas in the bowl.

The bowl valve was lightly stuck. A new cleaning ensued and reassembly (double checked float levels again). After remounting and primed with gas, I checked each bowl to ensure they each had gas.

Runs much better in the mid-range now. Carbs 1-3 look good on the plugs, now just tweaking #4. Cleaned the plug with emery cloth and tried swabbing some carbon out but when I get a chance I'll get some new plugs and double check the settings.

I need to order up a new set of adapters for my manometer. Helped out a fellow GS'r after my last carb synch and he accidently twisted the hex off the thread.

I think I've gotten about as far as I can until I check the synch.

Thanks AJ for the reminder tips and clarification of plugs in today's fuels.

Comment

Working...
        X