Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you ID this exhaust?

I didn't get my license plate today.
    I need to document that this exhaust, mounted on a 1978 GS1000E, complies with ECE Reg. No. 9-00
    I assume this is a European noise level regulation.

If anyone could help me ID the exhaust I would be one step closer to my plate.

Thanks.

Hi babes.
    Isn't that a Vance&Hines... Nicely painted my favourite colour...

Nice.
    Xxx

Comment

Thanks, yes, I think it is. However, I think I need a more specific ID? Like a type number of some sort?

Comment

That exhaust is just a run of the mill Vance and Hines. It does not comply with US noise regulations so hope that isn't a problem for you.

This is the link for the product info http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/s.../suzuki/12005/

This link says chrome, but the black pipe is identical other than finish.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks. The water level in the glass is 50%, but I haven't decided whether it's half full or half empty yet.

Wow, excellent info there.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I used the heavy duty fiberglass wrap, and they are plenty quiet enough if you drive normally. I haven't drawn any undue attention with them. At their worst they are quieter than 99.9% of the predominant Harley or metric cruiser in this area. I would drill and wire the baffle bolt, I lost a baffle when I first got the bike.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

There's no issue about that, mate.
              The actual noise isn't the problem. I HAVE TO produce documentation. This is bureaucracy, not common sense.

(he actually suggested I could "borrow" original pipes. beat that.)

Comment

just make your own document with some parts numbers and a brand, make it look legit, what do they know in the office??

Comment

Just email V&H. I'll bet they have a pdf of what info you're looking for
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'd ask them for the PDF of a set of pipes they make that DOES meet epa standards, as opposed to getting the correct PDF for those pipes that does not meet epa standards. They likely aren't going to know for sure if they are the exact same pipes in the PDF either way.

Tank

Comment

Haha.
                      Got a one line reply from V&H:

"Not street legal. Off road use only. Regards Rick. "

Comment

Can you register it as a classic or antique?
                        Then, perhaps you won't have to comply with that nonsense.
                        Pack the can with the usual fiberglass packing that it should have in it and it should be quiet anyway.

Eric

Comment

This is as much fun as having a sticker on the fender proving compliance with the EPA in 1978
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
                            There's no issue about that, mate.
                            The actual noise isn't the problem. I HAVE TO produce documentation. This is bureaucracy, not common sense.

(he actually suggested I could "borrow" original pipes. beat that.)
                            We have the same issue in France
                            You will never get the EEC approval document for that V&H exhaust...
                            I believe you will have to find or buy one from a european manufacturer!
                            sigpicJohn Kat
                            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

I have good news, but I'm not jinxing things by telling you yet.

Stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                              X