carb caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb caps

so I got these caps, polished them up, and was going to use them to replace my black plastic ones, but will it be OK to use them, they are slightly different, but they do fit the 4 mounting points, the aluminum cap is a bit deeper, and the nub for the spring is a bit smaller in diameter.....

Will this be OK to use.....?

by the way, I have only changed one so far, as per the pics right now.

Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM. Reason: additional info

Never have trying this, this won't be from experience, but just as an observational standpoint, whenever those springs weaken, they tend to cause minor issues, meaning, a deeper cap simulates a weaker spring as it will have less initial tension as before, allowing the slide to rise quicker, may result in a little lean condition, most likely curable with the mixture screw alone. Now that being said, it may not do diddly squat...you can ride it like this to see if you notice any differences, check the plugs frequently for awhile, or, just to eliminate any what ifs, glue a phenolic washer inside around the center keeper the same thickness as the difference in depth, use the ones from an auto store for replacement oil drain plugs, sand to correct thickness, then it will be as if you didn't do anything, as far as the diameter of the center spring keeper, it will most likely hold the spring in place, I've heard of others swapping with this style caps with no issues.

So, it most likely won't do diddle, or, correct the depth and never wonder if it will.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
      Never have trying this, this won't be from experience, but just as an observational standpoint, whenever those springs weaken, they tend to cause minor issues, meaning, a deeper cap simulates a weaker spring as it will have less initial tension as before, allowing the slide to rise quicker, may result in a little lean condition,
      good point, the polished cap is about 2mm deeper, than the plastic one

Thanks

Comment

Gawd man you are trying to build a bling bucket. It would be easier to buy a Hardley

As far as the cap goes, if you really must use it, you can shim the spring by making a donut to fit around the "nub" about 2mm thick ( i.e. plastic rubber, whatever you can find). Elongating the spring a bit at one end would have the same effect but having said all that, I don't think the 2mm difference is going to make much of a difference in performance of the carb anyway.

Dang, that guy better hurry up with the damn tins or you'll be ripping it all apart again and sending the frame in for nickel plating.

I can just see it when you eventually do get a chance to ride you'll just motor over to Timmies and "pose" with all the shiney cruiser dudes.

Where did I lose you????????

Your pal,
        Spyug

PS I'm feeling down right now as I took my spare brake hoses in to my guy to get SS lines made up. I figured if I gave him the job he'd be more likely to get them done quickly and give me a pass on the cert of the 550. How wrong can I be sometimes, he's too busy and it will be next week before they are done and he's booked up for certs until the following week. Colour me deep blue. Oh well, I guess I can still road test around the neighbourhood

Comment

Build a Hardley what ? lol

Well I really don't need to use them, but if I can, why not, and the bling is a bonus...hehehehe

Well so far no concrete info on the effect of using these, so I think I will swap them out, and see what happens, I know the bike runs well with the plastic caps, since we did sync and all, so lets see.

no nickel plating, but maybe some powder coating.....LOL

The Timmies guy's better all be wearing their shades.....

You should have ordered from Raymond, had them in your hands in like 2 days and just got the bike in for the cert only, he might have been able to squeeze you in for that...

seems your not going to be riding much, any sooner than I will.....bummer.....

Cheers buddy.....

waiting for more info and responses....

Comment

As the great Scottish poet Rabbie Burns so aptly said, "The best laid plans of man or beast aft gang aglay" Or in modern vernacular, the best thought out plans usually go to schitt!

I'm so bummed out I'm actually going out to try out a Ninja 250 tonight for schitts and giggles. A nice little ride make take my mind off thingsfor a short while....... and no its not for me but my lady "student" is looking to upgrade from her CBR 125. I was trying to get her on a 550 but that's not working as its"too heavy" Women, can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Well to each his own, bling is not my thing but if you like to polish more than ride then have fun. Oh now I get it, just figured it out, you can drink when you polish.....not so easy when you ride. Smart frukker aren't you

Cheers bud,
            spyug

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS
              So, apparently, no one has any concern about the larger diameter spring shifting and
              getting pinched due to the difference in centering post diameters eh?

Interesting...

Eric
              Nope, besides, the center of the slide will do most of the job keeping them centered. The keeper in the cap is just to be sure it stays there as far as I can tell. And you could always make a larger diameter collar if needed

Comment

so, some say no worries, some say worry

could be an issue, might not be an issue

too much bling, but you only really see 2 of them at most, one on the left and one on the right, the center ones, well one can't really see them....

I was hoping for a technical reason as to why not to use them, but so far it seems all I am getting is speculation ?

it's OK, I will experiment, I put on all 4, lets see what happens, how she runs, or does not run, it's not like I can't put the plastics back on, it only took me about 15 minutes to put the 3 on tonight, and a few minutes for the 1 last night.

I will hit a few bike shops if I get a chance, take my pics with me, show it to some "mechanics" and see what their thoughts are....

for now, it looks KOOL, OK maybe for some it don't, this is what happens when one cannot ride, and one has idle hands.....

I will leave them in, at least for a start up, and see if anything has changed, like I said the bike ran, idled, and so on, was carb synced by spyug and I so if it runs like crap, well the plastic caps go back on....

for now, I have to go and get my sunglasses the bling is killing me......LOL

ohhhh a few pics...

Comment

They look good, leave-em!!

Comment

A simple machined spacer will center the spring and keep distances as stock thus assuring no problems. That would be my vote. By the way I think they look great.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                      They look good, leave-em!!
                      Thanks

I will, until I see how she runs......

Comment

Working...
                      X