Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gassy Oil and Trouble Starting

Hi guys,
    I've got oil that smells like burned plastic/rubber and gasoline as well. Burned smell may have to do with a stator, new and installed two weeks ago, that stopped working after two days with a short to ground. When I took it out the stator was in decent shape but black. The oil in the crankcase was very black.

Also, when starting the bike, it's very slow. It speeds up to normal as I give it the tiniest bit of throttle. I was told this was because less of a vacuum was needed if you open the throttle a bit.

Oil was last changed about two months ago, less than 1000 miles due to electrical issues it hasn't been ridden much.

I noticed that mileage was very bad if the bike sat for any length of time, as though the gas was evaporating out of the tank.

PO was a mechanic, said carbs were spotless when he checked before I bought it in April. He has helped me through these issues and seems trustworthy. But I have not looked in the carbs myself because I don't know how to :P

So could the black and gas smelling oil be related to the starting issue? And could this have wrecked a brand new stator?

Your carbs are overflowing into your crankcase. Change the oil and filter and fix the overflow before you start the engine again. Do not start the engine with gas in the oil.

Comment

Whoops. I started it, and it sounded like it needed oil. Like raw clashing gears. So I changed the oil, well im about to put new oil in once I find an o ring for the drain plug. Why would fuel be flowing into the crank case, how do I check it, and what can I look forward to fixing?

Are there any symptoms I would notice from gas in the oil other than the smell? Weird running etc?

Comment

Oh yeah, my petcock is very hard to turn by hand. It almost needs a wrench or pliers to turn it to reserve

Comment

Fuel in the crankcase and the petcock is hard to turn - have you replaced it yet? Yep, that petcock is probably messed up. Please don't start that engine again until you drain all the oil out and put fresh in. Do a search on here about gas in oil and you'll see lots of threads about how to repair that stuff. You don't and you might not have an engine to start without a major rebuild.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I put new oil in and started it fine, ran it a couple minutes. The gnashing sound from the alternator case gradually faded away, I guess as oil reached the gears, and after a couple minutes I could only hear it if I put my head down close. At that point I wasn't sure if it was a new sound or always like that but I just never listened so closely to that part specifically. Its a very tight, sharpish sound, almost like if you put a piece of paper into the blades of a spinning fan? Kinda hard to describe. Anyway with new oil it got much quieter.

Now that I have new oil, and it ran a bit, I am going to check tomorrow for a gas smell. I have no idea how to check the carbs, I'll use the search engine. What parts will I need beyond the usual wrench/socket type stuff? Is silicone lubricant ok to use to get the hoses back on the carbs if I do take them off?

Oh yea I did take the tank off a week ago to clean up the wiring, and fuel did not leak from the line other than a bit at first, which was probably just from riding it earlier.

Comment

Working...
            X