X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme loss of power

Bike: 1980 Suzuki GS1000G

Modifications: Removed the air filter.

Problem: My bike was running fine, and with plenty of power. I pulled the air filter out. The bike was running fine (albeit on a shot battery, had to push start), then about 1/2 a mile down the road it started to sputter and die. I barely made it to the auto parts store where I was charging up another battery. Put that one in. Same thing. Bike ran well for a little, then lost a lot of power. As in WOT in first and the bike would barely more forward

Do you think that that is because of the lack of an air filter?

I don't have a known good battery yet, so I can't perform the Stator Paper tests yet, but the bike was running fine until I removed the filter.

Please let me know where to start. This is my first motorcycle, and I'm ignorant about a lot of things on it. Thanks.

x01660

you have to have a filter, or rejet, have you read this

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
      you have to have a filter, or rejet, have you read this
      http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      Thank you for the quick reply. I just got the bike today and it is my first motorcycle. I am going to clean the entire electrical system tomorrow morning.

Yes I've seen that website, and I've read a lot of it. I just haven't read it all yet. But that answered my question. It is the air filter that is causing my problems. Luckily for me it's a reusable type, so I'll clean it and put it back in. Thank you very much.

x01660

Comment

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. I would check your petcock.
        It'll run fine while the bowls are full but as they are sucked dry one by one you will start losing power. Once the bikes sits for a bit the bowls fill back up and it will run good again until they get sucked dry.

I had a non OEM petcock on my bike when I got it that would only free-flow fuel in one specific position. Any deviation from that specific position would only let the fuel trickle in to the carbs resulting in the exact symptoms you are describing.

Tank

Comment

Bike won't run properly with out an air filter unless you rejet. Period
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
          X