OEM petcock. Is there a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM petcock. Is there a difference?

Yesterday riding home the GS had an unexpected sputter... I had to turn the valve to reserve at only 80 miles! Usually I can get to 110-120 miles before reserve. I recently replaced the petcock with an OEM NOS unit. Is there any differences between petcocks? My other theory is I didn't fill the tank all the way after replacing the valve...

I don't know if the part # was superseded because I got it from bike bandit during the 15% off promotion.

The amount of "reserve" left in the tank will depend on the height of the pickup tube on the petcock. Did you compare the new one with the old? Were they the same height?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some petcocks have reserve kick in at higher fuel level; my original (I think) petcock forced me to "res" spot at 1/3 tank if I was in hilly terrain. Replacement unit will run to 1/4 level with no problem.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The amount of "reserve" left in the tank will depend on the height of the pickup tube on the petcock. Did you compare the new one with the old? Were they the same height?

I didn't do that I know I should have... I guess I will have to pull it back out to compare...

Comment

Working...
        X