'81 GS550T idle and high rpm issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS550T idle and high rpm issue

I just finished rebuilding my carbs and and I'm having a couple issues. I'm having trouble holding a good idle. I need to keep the engine at like 2000-2500 rpm to keep it from dying. If I hold it at 2500 rpm and release the throttle for a second and then try to rev it, it won't recover, and will usually die. The other issue is that the engine tops out at about 6000 rpms. Thats with the throttle fully open ..... it won't exceed 6000 rpms.

I believe I adjusted my pilot screws correctly, but could this be the source of my problem? I tried going through the top 10 newbie mistakes to eliminate any obvious causes.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Airbox in place?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yes. The stock airbox is in place. I also installed a new foam filter.

Comment

Is the choke closing off properly?
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Are all cylinders firing?

valves adjusted?

Comment

The choke rod appears to be moving properly and properly closing. I believe all cylinders are firing. However I just replaced both of my coils with Dyna DC1-1 coils. (cylinders 2 and 3 weren't firing so rather than replace the one bad coil I replaced both). The outputs on the Dyna coils did not specify which output went to which cylinder. So I didn't think it mattered. Maybe that was a bad assumption. So the left coil is still wired to Cylinders 1 & 4. And the right coil is still wired to Cylinders 2 & 3. But as far as which output on the individual cylinders goes to Cyl 1 and which goes to Cly 4, I unsure. That being said the engine sounds like its firing correctly. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Are all four headers hot?

Comment

Yeah. All the headers are hot. So I assume they are all firing. Could the firing sequence be wrong because of how I wired the coils?

Comment

Your coil connections are fine. Both wires on each coil fire every time that coil fires. That is, 1 & 4 both fire, then 2 & 3 fire, then 1 & 4, etc. I think you get the idea. So you are good at that point.

Comment

6000 isn't near enough- you may need an assistant for this check- make sure your slides are opening all the way when you open full throttle. An inspection mirror and light might help too- depends on your help. I'm in a similar situation with my newly rebuilt engine/carbs with idle creeping and difficulty synching.
                    I suspect vacum leak at the airbox since the boots are really stiff and clamps are not healthy looking- these temps have me on hold-
                    I remember reading someone with a foam filter over oiling it and what you described too- he washed it out and lightly oiled and fixed it. Try that first if it applies.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Did you take the carbs fully apart, soak them in dip, and reassemble with fresh O-rings? Replace the intake boot O-rings? Valves adjusted? Set the pilot mixture screws at 3 turns open?

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                      6000 isn't near enough- you may need an assistant for this check- make sure your slides are opening all the way when you open full throttle. An inspection mirror and light might help too- depends on your help. I'm in a similar situation with my newly rebuilt engine/carbs with idle creeping and difficulty synching.
                      I suspect vacum leak at the airbox since the boots are really stiff and clamps are not healthy looking- these temps have me on hold-

There is no need to go though all that. Just rebuild your carbs properly and check the parts while everything is apart.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 07-06-2012, 08:05 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did take the carbs fully apart. I soaked all metal parts in carb dip. I replaced all the gaskets and o rings. My pilot screws are 2 1/2 turns out. I did not adjust the valves though. I didn't replace the O rings on the intake boots. The thought about removing the boots but I thought I was going to strip the Phillips screws that secured them. I decided not to try and remove them until I knew I had to. They boots look to be in decent shape.

Comment

Where are you? There might be a member close enough to help you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by heater63 View Post
                            I did not adjust the valves though. I didn't replace the O rings on the intake boots. .

(10 characters)
                            Last edited by Nessism; 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi heater63, follow all the tutotial & guideline that had been given. Previous i just let my mech to do it (biggest mistake but no option) but now i DIY my self with the guideline & tutorial from GS resources members. Now my GS run great and healthy. There is no easy way to ensure the GS run well... you can read my hard journey with my GS in the GS story section.

Happy DIY...
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X