pin hole in bottom of gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pin hole in bottom of gas tank

Hello: I have a tiny pin hole in the bottom of my 83 gs 1100g gas tank---looking for solution. thx

Newbie cross posting
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My suggestion is to seal it on the outside with epoxy, plumber's putty, jbweld, etc.
      Then seal it on the inside with por-15.

Comment

Get a Caswell 2 part epoxy tank kit, clean the tank out REALLY REALLY good with dish soap and water. Duct tape it off per the instructions and seal it. POR 15 works super good too.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Get a Caswell 2 part epoxy tank kit, clean the tank out REALLY REALLY good with dish soap and water. Duct tape it off per the instructions and seal it. POR 15 works super good too.
          Chuck,

do you have any hints for making the Caswell a little more "workable"?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

The instructions sheet I read at Frank Zs house said something about cutting it with like a few ounces of laquer thinner..or something like that. Guess you could PM Frank and ask him to directly quote the sheet he has with the kit.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I will be "refreshing" my info on Thursday afternoon . We are gonna be doing the Cooley tank I welded for him and the TX 750 tank too. Decided the coating the TX tank wouldnt hurt anything. Probably gonna thin it down a bit so it flows a bit easier too.

Comment

So the problem with Caswell is it's too thick? That actually sounds just like what is needed for pin holes.

Comment

It is pretty thick in consistency from what i gather..will find out thursday for sure. Their instructions just say cover pin holes and seams with duct tape to prevent it from leaking out any holes or cracks. I would assume after it has cured for a few days you could skim some bondo on and repaint to make it perfect again.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    It is pretty thick in consistency from what i gather..will find out thursday for sure. Their instructions just say cover pin holes and seams with duct tape to prevent it from leaking out any holes or cracks. I would assume after it has cured for a few days you could skim some bondo on and repaint to make it perfect again.
                    I have a kit in the garage to do the tank on the Rebel, and I've just been waiting for the deluge to stop. The instructions are explicit about the temperature and humidity conditions. Now that our rains are done, the temperature has been hotter than normal, which reduces the working time.

I understand that the consistency before thinning is like thick honey, and it doesn't flow well, so it makes a complete and even coating difficult. This might be a good time to try the cement mixer trick.

Every post I have found here and elsewhere suggests that repainting is probably inevitable, but a few people have reported success at getting good coatings without taping up the outside.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

If you have pin holes in the tank, don't you need to re-paint anyway to clean up the rust, etc. that caused the holes?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                        If you have pin holes in the tank, don't you need to re-paint anyway to clean up the rust, etc. that caused the holes?
                        If you have a nice paint job and you want to take a chance to save yourself the hassle of getting it repainted, Evaporust is your friend.

Unlike some of the other, harsher chemicals, it doesn't harm the paint, but the stuff costs $30.00/gallon.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                          Yeah, usually when there are pin holes, there will be small bubbles and slight chipping in the paint, as well. Or at least in my experience.
                          Unless the pin holes are under the badge plate, I've had that on one tank. The paint is not affected, though.

Comment

I just did the GS400 and it is VERY THICK.. I couldn't get it to get all over the insides and ended up using the whole kit instead of 1/2 of it as reccommended. I'd definitely water it down with lacquer thinner so it's more coatable. Also use bolts coated with vasoline in the petcock bolt holes and putty or tape off the big petcock hole, and plastic wrap in the fuel bung with the gas cap installed!!!! shake, move, roll, th tank for at least a half hour to get it covered. I think if its thinned out it will work good with 1/2 the kit. mine ended up having 1/4" on the bottom cause I couldn't tell if it was covered or not and let it harden that way.

Comment

Working...
                            X