Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Many spares!

Hi
    I'm starting to attack the carbs on my rebuild project and I've come across a slight issue.... I've got too many carbs.

When I got the bike no carbs, cables or grips were fitted but I got a box of bits. In the box was 2 sets of slide carbs one set has bigger slides than the other.

Of the 2 throttle grips one has a push and pull throttle cable holes and the other only has one a pull cable hole.

So the question is for a GS550 EC which bits do I use? Also if its the double cable grip are both the cables the same when it comes to getting replacements?

I know on cars using the bigger carbs tends to give more power but screws fuel is it the same deal with these bikes or am i entering a world of hurt if i just take on that principal? The plan is seperate air filters for each carb and 4-1 exhaust so i'm expecting to play with jets unless the slide carbs tend to run with these things well without tweaking.

Thanks for the help

Hi babes.
    Your 2 carbs and a whole lot ov bits short ov a rack, I think...
    And thats not a euphamism!!!

Xxx

Are you in the UK?
    I have all 4 CV Carbs of a GS550E if you want em...

X
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Take pics of both sets-look for numbers on them and someone here will be able to identify them
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGB View Post
        When I got the bike no carbs, cables or grips were fitted but I got a box of bits. In the box was 2 sets of slide carbs one set has bigger slides than the other.
        Measure the output throats of the carbs. The 550 came with 22mm carbs, the 750, 850 and 1000 had 26mm carbs.

Of the 2 throttle grips one has a push and pull throttle cable holes and the other only has one a pull cable hole.
        Actually, both cables pull, but in opposite directions.

So the question is for a GS550 EC which bits do I use?
        See comment above, use the 22mm carbs.

Also if its the double cable grip are both the cables the same when it comes to getting replacements?
        I don't know, I would have to look up the part numbers.

Come to think of it, you could do the same thing.

I know on cars using the bigger carbs tends to give more power but screws fuel is it the same deal with these bikes or am i entering a world of hurt if i just take on that principal?
        Yes, they (the cars) will make more power, but only if the carbs were the restriction in the system that was holding it back. In the case of your bike, putting on larger carbs without doing a bunch of other work, will probably hurt more than help. The carbs are sized so that the engine will try to maintain sufficient air flow across the jets. If you put on larger carbs, you might not have enough airflow to suck fuel up the jets, especially right off-idle.

The plan is seperate air filters for each carb and 4-1 exhaust so i'm expecting to play with jets unless the slide carbs tend to run with these things well without tweaking.
        Good thing you are already expecting to have to do that, you will not be disappointed.

Regardless of carb type, you WILL be tweaking the jetting. Some say the VM carbs are easier, but I think the only thing that is easier is the adjustable needle height.

Have fun.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X