help help fuel everywhere help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help help fuel everywhere help!!!

Just bought a gs450. Unbolted the tank and lifted it about an inch. The hoses came off of the petcocks and fuels went everywhere. The lines are off the tank and off the carbs now and I can't figure out what goes where.

Here is the kicker.the petcock has two prongs, adaptors, bungs, tube hole pacement spots. It has no off. Only prime,Onm reserve. Where do you turn the petcock to turn it off? Where should the two lines on the left run to? On the right side of the tank there are two sensor electric wires that unplogged themselves as well. this is a gimmie.
    Next to this is a wierd contraption that looks like it has a bung. What should be hooked to it?
    From just above the carb bowls there are two lines coming off. are these vent lines, fuel, or vacum lines? I found only one line with an inline filter running to a center T fiting between the carbs. I assume this is where the main fuel inlet line from the petcock goes. What hooks up where?

The clymer manual shows a different style cabs rack than whats on ths bike. I can't figure out where to put the vacum line, or anything else.

Sorry for the bad spelling and poor typing, dealing with a mess. My carbs on my cs11 seemed so simple to this twin.

Pictures are a plus but any help is appeciated. I obviously did something very bad. I have fuel and vacum line. I just don't know where anything goes. I panned to document as I went until everything started popping off. I'm not even sure how they got such short lines hooked up.

Gary

the GS models have a vacuum actuated fuel valve. the 3 modes are reserve, ON and Prime. You need to turn the valve to either on or reserve. The vacuum fuel valve works by a diaphragm. When the engine is off the diaphragm is pushed by a spring causing an obstruction to the fuel effectively turning the fuel off. When the engine runs the diaphragm is sucked open causing fuel to flow to the carbs. This effectively turns the fuel on automatically while the engine runs.

Prime bypasses the system causing fuel to flow whether the engine is running or not. on the valve you have 2 lines. the smaller line is the vacuum line which goes to a fitting on the right side carb. The larger line is the fuel supply which hooks to the fuel inlet T between the carbs.

The 2 lines from the carbs that don't go to anything are vents.

Comment

Thanks Razor. So the Small black line to the front goes t the top of the right hand Mikuni Carb? Thats the only open vent line I see. What is the thing on the right side of the tank where the electrc wires come off? It looks like it has a place for a vent or fuel line as wel but I can't see anythingto hook to it. The fuel guge seemed to work before this debacle. Now it doesn't and the bike doesn't wnt to stay running.

Comment

So If i turn the petcock to on or res it should seal the tan so it stops leaking everywhere while I figure this out?

Comment

Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
          So If i turn the petcock to on or res it should seal the tan so it stops leaking everywhere while I figure this out?
          Correct.

The wires are for your fuel sender in the tank, it makes your fuel gauge work. Look for 2 wires on the frame that they will plug into. The hose barb by the wires may be the fuel tank overflow line. May have had a hose attached to it running past the carbs to beneath the bike originally.

Comment

Thanks guys! So the two main lines I need are on the left. The fuel line runs off the back of the petcock down to the "T", and the vac line gos off the fron and to the inside inside fron vac assembly on mikuni carb?
            The Clymer manual shows some brand carb where the vac hookup is to the outside of the carb, and shows none of the tank inforation. I've been searching online for hours.
            Now all I have to do is get it to start and adjust the center throttle adjuster back to a correct spot so that I am not having to start it with the choke all the way on. My Helpful son grabbed it and turned it all the way out and now I can't get it to start ad stay started even after war up without the choke. I was thinking of ditching the airbox for pos. Maybe nows the time if i have to figure all this out anyway. What say you all?
            Also How the hell do you get a battery charger in to the battery terminals to charge the battery. Seems lik the lines are to short to even get the battery to clide out. Where do I start. Brand new to this bike and I am lost.

Gary

Gary

Comment

Hey Gary, welcome!

First off, what year 450 are we talking? Most of us 450 owners on here have the 80 - 82 models, but Suzuki changed a lot of things from 83 onwards including the carbs.

Some photos would also really help.

The Clymer probably has pictures of the 80 - 82 models which have the vacuum port for the fuel tap on the left side of the left carb just in front of the choke lever.

Before ditching the airbox, make sure you get her running right. If she's not running right and you ditch the airbox, you'll need to start playing with carb jetting to add to the other issues needing to be sorted, so my suggestion is keep it for the moment at least and simplify as much as you can.

You'll have trouble getting a charger on the battery terminals with the battery in place, and the easiest way around that is to remove it to charge it. I'm pretty sure the removal method for the 83 and onwards 450's is the same as the earlier ones where you disconnect the negative lead first, and then the positive lead has enough length to slide the battery almost all the way out which will give you access to undo the positive lead.

You can get trickle chargers that have ring terminals attached to them with a plug and socket so you can attach the pigtail to the bike permanently and use a much more easily accessible plug to plug the charger into.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
                Thanks guys! So the two main lines I need are on the left. The fuel line runs off the back of the petcock down to the "T", and the vac line gos off the fron and to the inside inside fron vac assembly on mikuni carb?
                The Clymer manual shows some brand carb where the vac hookup is to the outside of the carb, and shows none of the tank inforation. I've been searching online for hours.
                Now all I have to do is get it to start and adjust the center throttle adjuster back to a correct spot so that I am not having to start it with the choke all the way on. My Helpful son grabbed it and turned it all the way out and now I can't get it to start ad stay started even after war up without the choke. I was thinking of ditching the airbox for pos. Maybe nows the time if i have to figure all this out anyway. What say you all?
                Also How the hell do you get a battery charger in to the battery terminals to charge the battery. Seems lik the lines are to short to even get the battery to clide out. Where do I start. Brand new to this bike and I am lost.

Gary

Gary

When I put a battery charger on the battery in the frame I hook the negative lead to the battery terminal and the positive lead to the battery input on the solenoid.

Comment

I was afraid that this would fry the solinoid. Thanks for the info.

Now I just gotta find someone in the cincinnati area to help me figure out whats going on withmy carbs now.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Pete, I will leave the airbox for now. I am going to be stck on getting the thing started and idling again as it is.
                    It is a 1983 GS450. Bought it super cheap from a gentleman I work with running (kind of) with title etc. I have a feeling I will be asking ALOT of questons.

Gary

Comment

Not at home right now, but I'm thinking the nipple in the back of petcock is for the vacum line and one in frt. is for the fuel line . terrylee

Comment

Can anyone verify Which is which. this would explain why I am having problems. I have the fuel hooked to the one facing the rear and the other over to the carb vac port. If this is wrong I am making a big mess and explains alot.

Gary

Comment

Read this

Study BikeCliffs site, many years of experience speaking on this site.

Comment

Just had a look at the parts fiche on Alpha Sports and the 83 450L uses the same tap as the 82 and 83 300's and a bunch of 82/83 1100's and some 750's and 850's.

The way to tell is to turn the tap to "On".

Connect a hose to the front (what we think is the vacuum port) and suck.

If fuel starts running out the other one, then that's it.

If not, do it the other way.

If you suck on one and get no fuel, that's the fuel outlet.

If you get fuel running out of both, your fuel tap is buggered...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks guys that was exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X