WoT symptom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoT symptom

The city doesn't have a lot of places to do WoT chops. Help me with this symptom please.

Occasionally when I have the chance to open the throttle wide the engine struggles and continues to do so for a minute or two thereafter, in any throttle position. With 120 mains (stock are 100) I am guessing that circuit is rich and the excess fuel is causing the engine to misbehave for a bit after the flood.

The after symptom is a bit of hunting, almost like being fuel starved. I have some 117.5 jets to swap in, and will do that soon. I am also underwhelmed by the mid throttle performance, and might de-shim the needle.

Thoughts?

From my experience with jetting bikes, over rich on the mains is more dramatic of a power loss than too lean. Jets are cheap, get a couple sizes up and down stick them in and give it a Seat-O-Pants dyno run. Get the main size right before messing with needle shims otherwise you'll just be pulling the needles a lot more than you need to. If you can get someone to follow you and watch your exhaust for smoke when you punch it that will give you an indication of how rich you are at WOT, you should have little to no smoke.

Comment

Wish I could help I was about to post with some of the same symptoms with others.

I'll be watching with interest. I'll start my thread to not hijack yours. Luck

Comment

Put the jet needle back to where it was and change the mains down to 115's.
        The 117.5's won't do enough I believe.

Eric

Comment

I have VM carbs, but I think the symptoms would be the same. When I first installed my stage 3 jet kit, the bike would struggle through mid range and then go to WOT, but it wasn't happy doing it at recommended settings. Hot nasty weather finally showed what it was. It started fouling plugs when I tried to force it to WOT. I raised the clip one notch, dropping the needles to lean it out. From your description, it sounds like you are fowling plugs. It would make you think it might be starving for fuel while the excess carbon is burning off, until you foul a plug bad enough to develop a miss that won't go away. I see you have a Dyna-S and coil mod (hopefully you have the Dyna Green coils and wires). That will insure you are not chasing any ignition related Gremlins.
          Last edited by OldVet66; 07-12-2012, 10:16 PM.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If this is a new symptom could be a little moisture in your gas, sounds silly I know but can do it. I went to 135 mains and left the needles in stock position with ACCEL coils and upper mid to WOT I have to really hang on.

Comment

Not a new symptom, but I don't get to WoT very much. So I hadn't seen much at that level.

Plugs, though not a chop, look pretty sooty. Carbon fouling sounds right.

Comment

I'm surprised that 120 is too rich. 122.5 and 125 are the best for me at WOT chops. The struggling does sound like you're dumping fuel and it's on the verge of fouling the plugs, though.

Comment

“Any thoughts”.

I say put the bike back together OEM, because your pod project is a big failure.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    “Any thoughts”.

I say put the bike back together OEM, because your pod project is a big failure.
                    +1 agree entirely.. or get a bigger bike

Comment

You just insured the project will continue,
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                        You just insured the project will continue,
                        Ha, ha, ha, dead right!
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          “Any thoughts”.

Thanks. Sound advice. Lemme get right on that.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                            +1 agree entirely.. or get a bigger bike
                            Stay tuned.

Comment

sounds like a seriously over rich condition to me. drop 2 sizes on the mains (to 115, as previously stated) and try again. make sure your pods are not over oiled. set floats to 25-26mm (or not, your choice)

take some tools and jets with you and get the hell out of the city so you can do plug chops, they will tell you more than just about anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X