Leaky Carbs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Carbs...

I fired up my '77 gs 750 for the first time in months and after idling a few minutes gas started pouring out of the #3 carb breather tube. Once I shut her off, I also noticed a decent amount of fuel leaking from somewhere on #2 carb (seals?). I have not done any carb work before... is this sounding like a full clean & rebuild?

Thanks

Did you leave the petcock on Prime? Turn it to ON & see if the leaks stops.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I am wondering how it ever got high enough to come out the breather tube.

Should have come out the overflow tube long before that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Should have come out the overflow tube long before that.
        You're right, it is the overflow tube, not the breather tube.

Did you leave the petcock on Prime? Turn it to ON & see if the leaks stops.
        I DID leave it on prime... oops, my bad. But when I turned it to on and tried it again, still fuel pouring out of #3 overflow... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...s/confused.gif

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Sticking float or worn needle valve.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I fired her up one more time just to make sure it wasn't the petcock in Prime position... After a minute at idle I noticed fuel coming out the exhaust!

OK, now that I'm going to rebuild the carbs, any suggestions besides BassCliffs site? Which kit should I purchase? Another NOOB question: should I re-jet... I live at 6000', the bike was bought and running at 2000'. I've put pods on it and a 4-1 exhaust. As far as I know it has the stock jetting still.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GS750cafe View Post
                I fired her up one more time just to make sure it wasn't the petcock in Prime position... After a minute at idle I noticed fuel coming out the exhaust!

OK, now that I'm going to rebuild the carbs, any suggestions besides BassCliffs site? Which kit should I purchase? Another NOOB question: should I re-jet... I live at 6000', the bike was bought and running at 2000'. I've put pods on it and a 4-1 exhaust. As far as I know it has the stock jetting still.

Thanks
                no kits, just get the O rings from www.cycleorings.com and dip and clean the carbs, with what you have pods and pipe, jetting should be a must...or at least considered...

Comment

Any suggestions on jets?
                  What about new gaskets?

Comment

I will let the experts recommend the jets, it's one thing I have not gotton to do, or need to do, even though I am running a 4-1 Yosh pipe on my bike.

as for the bowl gaskets get OEM or any good quality ones, and make sure you get the right ones

get the intake O rings as well from cycleorings....

Comment

Since I had fuel coming out the exhaust, an oil change should be in order as well, right?

Comment

If you value your life and your bike, I would say yes.....

Comment

sounds like sticking floats, debris holding the needle valve open or badly worn needle valve, incorrect float height...

Comment

Your mains are going to be a bit small I would guess but where you are - up near the moon - you aren't going to need much bigger than stock. The VM manual suggests that you have about 85% of sea level air so I would try 107.5 mains as a starter. You may end up bigger, you may end up smaller but that's the price you pay for replacing the standard intake and exhaust.

I would also raise your needles by one notch.

Plug chops are going to be key to you dialling this thing in properly at that altitude.

You leak is due to something faulty with the float valve, the float valve seat of your float heights is set wrong.

No need to buy new gaskets and don't be fussed with OEM if you do buy them. They are only there to stop fuel slopping out of your carbs as you brake or accelerate hard - they are not designed to stop leaks (the fuel level should be below the gasket height).

Are you sure the fuel coming out of your exhaust is fuel? Chances are it's water that smells of fuel.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                            X