Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Vance/Hines header tubes rusted again?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW Vance/Hines header tubes rusted again?!!!

So I purchased a new Vance & Hines header 4-1 for my gs850g. The first set was light on chrome up near the mounting flange. The #2 flange was rusted onto the pipe and only came loose with a rubber mallet. I sent it back and promptly received another set.

The UPS man was curious so I told him to wait a minute and I would show him why he was delivering the same item over again, and yes, THESE WERE RUSTED TOO! This time it is the #3 cylinder flange rusted solid to the pipe.

I even called Vance an Hines. They couldn't assure me of a distributor where I could find a rust-free part.

Do I keep sending them back? [/COLOR] ARE ALL VANCE AN HINES PIPES LIKE THIS?

Sure it may rust later but it makes me sick to buy a new item with a corrosion issue at the onset. I have fought rust eating my truck headers for years multiple times dipped, ceramic coating, etc...

I just bought a Vance & Hines a few weeks ago, also a 4 in 1 and also for my 850GS.

There was some rust near the flange that attaches to the headers, as though the pipes had been sitting in some warehouse for a while. I was able to clean some of it, and nothing visible was left.

The majority of the pipe looked OK though they did become discolored pretty quickly, at least up high where the pipes come out head.

I guess I didn't think the little bit of rust I saw was worth sending them back. But you may have a lot more rust than I did.

The label on my exhaust pipe was also fastened on upside down. They sound great, but there could be more attention paid to the details by Vance & Hines, IMO.

Comment

This is why I greatly prefer a stock OE Suzuki exhaust.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Vance and Hines ahs nothing to do with themanufacture of the pipes. They are manufactured in China, and V&H imports them and sells them under their name.

Which is why the quality is pretty much crap. Unfortuntaely, they and Mac (also cheap Chinese manufacture) are about the only new pipes available for our old bikes.

If you find an old V&H pipe manufactured in the '80s (or better yet, a Kerker), the sidewalls are thicker and the chrome is better quality.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Vance & Hines

Stock is still steel pipes dipped in chrome. They are not stainless steel like my new bike.

All the stock pipes I have here are rusted or rusted out (and that makes 3 sets).
          New OEM is cost prohibitive IF it can be found (probably NOS anyway which could have the same issue).
          It is going to be a driver...

Comment

Originally posted by GSNewbie View Post
            Stock is still steel pipes dipped in chrome. They are not stainless steel like my new bike.

All the stock pipes I have here are rusted or rusted out (and that makes 3 sets).
            New OEM is cost prohibitive IF it can be found (probably NOS anyway which could have the same issue).
            It is going to be a driver...
            OEM pipes rust from the inside out (unless someone leaves their bike outside in the rain that is). Most rust occurs when short trips are taken and all the condensation is not driven out of the exhaust. Aftermarket carbon steel exhausts rust both on the inside and outside. Outside being much worse than anything you will ever see on a stock Suzuki exhaust.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              Vance and Hines ahs nothing to do with themanufacture of the pipes. They are manufactured in China, and V&H imports them and sells them under their name.
              WHY would make a statement like this that is a blatant LIE?!!! ALL of the V&H street pipes are made in California at the plant I USED TO WORK AT!!! The ONLY work that is sent out is the chroming & it is done locally also!!! Get your FACTS straight before telling LIES like that!!! Is the chrome bad sometimes, sure. Are they made in China? Absolutely NOT!!! Also, all of the new stainless drag race pipes are made at the race shop in Brownsburg, Indiana. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                WHY would make a statement like this that is a blatant LIE?!!! ALL of the V&H street pipes are made in California at the plant I USED TO WORK AT!!! The ONLY work that is sent out is the chroming & it is done locally also!!! Get your FACTS straight before telling LIES like that!!! Is the chrome bad sometimes, sure. Are they made in China? Absolutely NOT!!! Also, all of the new stainless drag race pipes are made at the race shop in Brownsburg, Indiana. Ray.
                Wanna bet? The shop in Brownsburg is one of my customers. They make some drag pipes there, but most of the pipes that you buy from places like Dennis Kirk or Bikebandit are made overseas.

I mounted a V&H pipe on a friend's CB900 Honda last year that said "Made in China". I'll see if he still has the box and take a picture of it for you if he does.

The quality of those pipes is crap.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Hmm. To try again or keep this set...

I took the header to Super Rat (custom bike builders) to see what they would say. True, they are not big on chrome bikes, but ,regardless, they know stuff.

Pretty good value, not real good on quality of chrome job. It is not triple chromed, which would be best for looks and longevity. I checked out chrome shops and it would cost as much (or more) than the purchase price of the exhaust to get it chromed properly.

And that, my friends, just doesn't seem to be worth it for an average bike...
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2012, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, after reading this thread, my RC pipes don't sound so bad now. Was thinking of a new V&H pipe, now not to sure. Though Basscliff turned me on to a website that does hi heat coatings. Jet-Hot. Was thinking about taking my pipes to them and have them refinished that way. I was told most chromers don't like to do exhaust pipe because of the soot inside messes up their dipping tanks.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

V&H pipe

Had my V&H pipe on my Gs1085S for 9yrs now apart from surface rust where it goes 4 into 1 ........
                      where you cant get to clean it properly its rock solid and I will my another one one day
                      well pleased with mine......

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                        Wanna bet? The shop in Brownsburg is one of my customers. They make some drag pipes there, but most of the pipes that you buy from places like Dennis Kirk or Bikebandit are made overseas.

I mounted a V&H pipe on a friend's CB900 Honda last year that said "Made in China". I'll see if he still has the box and take a picture of it for you if he does.

The quality of those pipes is crap.
                        The BOX might have been made in China but the pipes are all still made in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. The quality of the CHROME may not be as good as it could be but there is nothing wrong with the quality of the pipes. Ray.

Comment

In my case, I'd certainly not coat them after running them (the V&H). I've chased that scenario before on my Thorley's. Sure the ceramic coatings look good for a bit but once the metal has rust in the pores, the coating just never lasts like when the metal is new. I'm leaning towards running them. At least they aren't painted...
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Well I would have loved some OEM pipes for my '82 GS1100G. Where can I buy some?

Comment

I was wondering where the rusty pipes were purchased from? I am going to need a new pipe soon after mine blew a couple holes in the muffler part.

Anyone have an idea why it blew holes in it after just 18k km? I am having second thoughts about getting the same pipe again

Comment

Working...
                              X