Just another carb-question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NaeKid View Post
    I am just working within the limitations put on us here on the forum by the administration. I run a few vBulletin forums as well (and planning on building up another one here shortly), so, I know how to do things like that. If you like, I can send you a PM with a link to the forums - none of which are motorcycle based, but, there is always motorcycle talk going on.

The one thing that I try to encourage the members of my sites to do is to have my systems host the graphic-files instead of an outside source. The outside source (like PhotoBucket and others) can easily have broken links, especially if you forget about that account and it closes down - then the forum will no longer be able to show the pictures and then the member will need to relocate the files and re-upload them to make them visible again. Sometimes the member will have lost the original pictures (computer crash), so, the details required for that particular posting are no longer valid.
    I hear ya....I run and ran a few sites as well, this one is the way it is, I agree on hosting the content as well, but it take disk space, cpu power and so on, and that can get costly...as you know.

you probably noticed the first time you logged in all the posts were the wrong way, a setting that could be changed, has been mentioned but still has not been applied to have it go the other way...

it's just the way it is....and has been for a long time, I don't think the owner is completely site literate, but still does a fine job in keeping the place going.....

I just don't like the little pics, and hate when it takes me either to another site to see the bigger pic, or opens the thumb nail and then I have to click off to get back to what I was reading...just my pet peeve, I guess...

but it's all good, great site either way, lots of info, and that is the main thing...

hit the caps with your buffing wheel and they can come out looking like this...

Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      hit the caps with your buffing wheel and they can come out looking like this...

I saw that posting before, looked at my original caps on my bike and realized that they were already very pretty. I'll probably polish everything - the insides of the carbs for cleaner flow (or should I get my buddy to machine them with circulating-grooves to swirl the air) and clean up all the rusty parts and such.

Comment

I wouldn't play with the internals, well at least I wouldn't, just clean them up on the inside get rid of any crap, and leave them as the factory made them, you start changing too much you could run into issues....

start with a soaking in your favorite cleaning solution, berryman's, PineSol and so on, for at least 48 hours, a bit of scrubbing on the outside, and see what your left with...

do remove the diaphragms before the soak, all else can stay on the carbs, and for a real good clean, they should be stripped down completely and soaked, or taken apart after and cleaned fully

Comment

I was reading in one of my magazines that Mikuni has built a new website for everything Mikuni-related that they call MikuniPower.com - so - with great interest I pop into the site to see what is all there. For some reason, my skills with the computer are lacking, but, I cannot find any specific information about my '81 carb for my bike on the site.

So, I loaded up another Mikuni site (Mikuni.com) and looked through that site and didn't find anything listing the BS-carb either ... just a bunch of Harley information.

I was hoping to be able to locate a "full-rebuild" kit on their site for my carbs even though I bought something on eBay. I am reaching the end of my patience with my second set of carbs for my bike ... I still cannot get the butterflys to move, I stripped the heads off of several screws (good thing I have a full set of extras), it took me a couple weeks of cleaning just to get the slides out, found a whack-load of rust in the float-bowls and then I purchased a parts-cleaner that I filled with Kerosene and put the carbs into the flow.

It seems to be doing "better" but even after all the money I spent on trying to get these carbs to work, I am still sitting with a bike in the garage waiting to be ridden ....

Comment

With two racks of carbs you should not need any extra parts, you have plenty. You should get Robert Barr's Carb 0-ring set (and intake rings while your at it) and that should be all you need. Not sure why its taking so long. Make sure the diaphrams are not part of your kerosene bath. Can anyone in Alberta drop over and help this guy? Seems like we are missing something here

Comment

I have one friend who has done carbs before on his Ninja (similar setup) but he never got the bike to run properly - it runs fairly rich. I have the name of a backyard mechanic who is highly recommended by a couple of friends - but he is so recommended that his list of things-to-do is quite significant.

I figure that if I can get the butterflys to move (should I tap them with a brass punch and light hammer???) then I can start to try to remove the needles (and such) to get them clean.

My carbs have now soaked for about 24hrs (straight-up) in my kerosene bath - tomorrow morning my yard gets mowed (before it gets too hot), then I replace the thermostat in my Jeep and then I plan on working the carbs some more ... then in the afternoon I'll be test-driving another Jeep and maybe bring it home.

Sunday is planned for a cruise on my KLR - I want a piece of apple-pie from a great little place about 150km away.

Comment

Working...
              X