Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential Carb Issues

Hey Guys,

Rode about 400 miles this weekend on my newly purchased '82 GS850 and realized this morning it has a leaky carb boot (from engine to carb). There's a pretty significant amount of fuel leaking from the boot. So I called the local bike shop and they priced the boot at $43/ea and reccommended i replace all 4. I'm basically carb-illiterate so i've got a few questions i was hoping you guys could help out with.

1.) Does $43/boot seem resonable or does anyone know of a better source?

2.) Should i expect damage to the carb itself because of the leaky boot? if so, what should I be looking for?

3.) My bike has always had a pretty rough idle, im guessing the leaking boot had something to do with this. I've got a Vance and Hines 4-1 pipe, should I consider re-jetting as well?

Any info's greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

TonyB

If gas is leaking from the intake boot, then you should check your oil to make sure gas has not been overflowing into the crankcase.

Usually an intake leak allows extra air into the engine. If yours is causing fuel to come out of the system, I suspect you have a lot of fuel running through there. Any fuel that didn't leak out may have flooded your engine.

Check the oil for increased level and a gas smell. If you have even a hint of either, change it and the filter before starting the engine again.

I would replace all 4 boots and their o-rings. $43 per boot does not sound wildly out of bounds, but check Z1, Part Shark, etc. to see if you can do better.

Once you have the intakes sorted, you need to tear down the carbs and find out why you have so much fuel in the mix. Could be a sticking float, bad float needle or failing petcock.

If you have a 4-1 but still have a stock airbox, stock jetting should be OK, but you might need to increase the main jet. Check the current jetting first, the PO might have re-jetted the bike.

Search the forum for "overflowing carbs" for more info.

Comment

Stay away from "shops" they won't do the work correctly, sell you parts you don't need,a nd rip you off in general.
      Although you probably could use some new carb boots...that is not why you're leaking gas, since carb boots only flow air.
      This site was created to help people do their own work on their bikes to keep them running in tip-top shape.
      Have you done any work at all to your bike ? Have you been to Cliff's site ?
      There is alot of standard work that should be done to these old beautys to make them safe and reliable.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Which boot was leaking the fuel? If it was/is #2...then you either have a petcock that is in need of replacement and or a float needle that isn't doing its' job. Should be as simple as that. Also, was it leaking at the head where the boot meets the cylinder head OR was it leaking out a crack in the boot itself? You may only need the O-rings that go between the boot and the head.

Comment

You didn't leave your petcock in "Prime" when you parked it? If you did fuel will try to continue to flow, and you could flood your carbs.
          I'd consider that before doing anything else.
          Assuming you have a '82 GS850G model, carb boots are about $26 each at Boulevard Suzuki. Items 25 and 26, inside boots and outside boots. But you'll probably need those O rings and new clamps too.

Here's the '82 GS850G owners manual, read the caution on Page 16 about leaving the petcock in "Prime"
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            You didn't leave your petcock in "Prime" when you parked it? If you did fuel will try to continue to flow, and you could flood your carbs.
            I'd consider that before doing anything else.
            Assuming you have a '82 GS850G model, carb boots are about $26 each at Boulevard Suzuki. Items 25 and 26, inside boots and outside boots. But you'll probably need those O rings and new clamps too.

Here's the '82 GS850G owners manual, read the caution on Page 16 about leaving the petcock in "Prime"
            http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...ers_Manual.pdf

Bingo. Man, do I feel like an idiot.... I was running low on my way home so I switched it to what i thought was reserve but actually was Prime, which makes sense about the overflow in fuel. I rode it this way for about 15 miles. Everything seemed fine, and it's been shut off ever since i got home last night. I will definitely be replacing the oil and filter before i start it again...

Would driving it on Prime for 15 miles do any serious damage? Should I inspect other parts as well? I'm really hoping I didnt kill my bike, let me know what you think guys...

Comment

Originally posted by 82SU View Post
              Bingo. Man, do I feel like an idiot.... I was running low on my way home so I switched it to what i thought was reserve but actually was Prime, which makes sense about the overflow in fuel. I rode it this way for about 15 miles. Everything seemed fine, and it's been shut off ever since i got home last night. I will definitely be replacing the oil and filter before i start it again...

Would driving it on Prime for 15 miles do any serious damage? Should I inspect other parts as well? I'm really hoping I didnt kill my bike, let me know what you think guys...
              You're not the first one to leave your bike in Prime and flood your carbs,
              ask me how I know. But I'd play it safe and change your oil and filter, and try not to do it again.
              Running in Prime is OK, I do it often to get what's sitting on the bottom of the tank run through, guess you could do the same in reserve. Water collects on the bottom of tanks from all the condensation building up when the gas heats up and expands and then cools. Keeping your tank full helps, I use star tron to help combat the bad effects of ethanol which starts breaking down after two weeks in your tank. Condensation is more pronounced when using ethanol verses non-ethnanol gas.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X