petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock?

I jsut bought an 82 850g. the owner said it had some carb issues he believed, PO said he put a stage 3 kit on it. And badly might I ad. Fixed everything up, main jets are 140??? Anyway it keeps bogging out everytime i ride it, fowling up the plugs, and eventually not firiing in cylinders. I noticed though that even with the petcock turned to 'on' it still lets out a continuous stream of gas(engine off). In my experience with vacuum operated petcocks when 'on' gas does not come out until the engine is running. Am I correct or is the GS petcocks different?

You are correct. It should only flow continuously on PRI (prime), which is to be used if the bike has sat for awhile and the gas has evaporated in the bowls.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sooo hopefully my petcock is just a piece of **** and I wont have to tear apart the carbs for the thousanth time

Comment

Change the oil and filter before you start the bike again.

Comment

Perhaps......You said the PO "said" he put a stage 3 kit in the carbs.....if you've had them apart, don't you know for sure ??

Depending on what "mods" your bike has, my recomendation would be to get it as close to stock as possible and tune from there.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Well what it looks like he did was get a stage 3 kit. . .for 1 carb, and tried to split it up between 3. never seen anything like it. wanted to punch him in the face. so now everything is matching up all parts are accurate. I was just under the impression that stage 3 came with 165's and 160's. Not 140's

Comment

You're not the first that wanted to punch a PO in the face.

Not sure about stage 3 kits as my bikes are all stock. Look around using the search feature. I'm sure there are a bunch of threads that can help you figure it out.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Btw it has. . and dont kill me, i know whats coming. . . Pods on it. Honestly the root of all my problems I think

Comment

pods would not make it rich. Mikuni mains and dynojet mains are not numbered the same. Not even close. Contact dynojet and talk to the guy who designed the kit, I think his name is Mike. He should be able to get you on the right track given the info you already know.

Comment

Working...
                  X