Gs850Gl bogging at speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850Gl bogging at speed.

Hey guys and gals. New here and need some help. I just purchased a gs850 a month ago. It is a 1982 with 40000 miles on it. Seemed to run fine the whole way home which was about 70 miles. My boat habits kicked in and I changed the gear oil both primary and final, changed the oil, and put in 4 new plugs. Shortly thereafter I noticed that when cruising at a consistent speed both highway, 55, and local, 35, the bike want to bog in and out sometimes and when the throttle is either rolled on and cracked it bogs and then goes. A few more observations is it has started to backfire on decel a lot more sometimes. Seems to "throttle down backfire" less when it is not bogging. It starts on minimal choke. Had to get a new battery as the last three year old one died. Any ideas?

Have you shimmed the needles?
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Ok. I'm admitting newb here... What do you mean?

Comment

I would start here...

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

So it definately sounds carb related?

Comment

Originally posted by stoy75 View Post
            So it definately sounds carb related?
            Yes, it sounds carb related, but I would start with a full, proper "strip and dip" cleaning, so you know what you have as a baseline before making any changes.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok. Carbs stripped and dipped. Manifold boots and rings replaced. Problem seems to have worsened a little. Out of curiosity I put the petcock on prime and went for a ride. Problem was still there but bike had substantially more power and the problem did lessen a lot. Rode around on prime a little longer and problem almost disappeared and bike ran much much stronger.

Comment

Sounds like you may have a vacuum issue??? Did you check to ensure your hose is not kinked in any way?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Which vaccum line and what size is it. I'll just replace it. Should I rebuild the petcock too.

Comment

Instead of replacing parts right away just look at it. It will be the smaller of the two hoses coming off the petcock to the carbs. I think someone said it was 6mm but I'm not positive.

If you KNOW your petcock is bad, then replace don't rebuild it. Most people here have a really hard time getting rebuilt ones to work properly. It's a lot easier and cheaper in the long run to purchase a new one from someone like Z1 Enterprises than it is to fight with that kit.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I know the line is connected on both sides. Just figured a vaccum line would only be a dollar or two. How would I test it.

Comment

A good test to do would be to take your tank off (with the fuel lever on "ON") and set it in your garage overnight to see if the petcock leaks.

Then, you can hook up your vacuum line to the petcock (with the tank still off) and apply a vacuum to it (suck on the end of the line) to make sure that fuel flows out of the petcock when a vacuum is applied.

New rubber parts (vacuum hoses, fuel hoses) isn't a bad idea for a 30 year old bike in general, especially when fuel/vacuum hose would only be a few bucks.

Comment

Tank was off all day yesterday when replacing the carb boots and not a drop on the floor when in the on position.

Comment

Originally posted by stoy75 View Post
                            Tank was off all day yesterday when replacing the carb boots and not a drop on the floor when in the on position.
                            the leaking bit without vacuum tests to see that your petcock shuts off when the bike isn't running. More of an issue if you have gas-oil or flooding.

Do check that fuel flows with a vacuum applied though; that test is more to see if your petcock is starving your carbs for fuel when your bike is running.

If that passes, then you have a blockage somewhere else limiting fuel flow. Possible culprits would be kinked fuel line, stuck float valves, dirty carbs, dirty petcock filter.

Comment

Do you also have an external fuel filter on your bike? If so, yank it off. There's no reason for it and most that people use are too restrictive for our gravity fed systems

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X