No announcement yet.

Gs850Gl bogging at speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not have an inline filter. What sizes are the fuel and vacuum. I am going to just replace em. I don't get the issue. Uggh.

Comment

Go to your local shop and ask for fuel and vacuum line. Fuel is 7mm and vacuum is 6mm I believe. Don't get the SAE size as it will not fit correctly.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Is there a chance this is the problem? I'm starting to feel like I'm chasing a ghost.

Comment

Have you done tested your petcock for vacuum issues yet? Is the airbox properly sealed? What other stuff have you done besides the FULL strip and dip?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. stoy75,

Sorry I'm late to your party. Let's get started... New Members, CLICK HERE!!

That link takes you to the "mega-welcome" information. Click on the "mega-welcome" and you will find a couple of maintenance lists. Every item on that list must be properly attended to in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. You see, the thing about buying a 30 year old motorcycle is that it usually needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. Everything starts with properly cleaned/rebuilt carbs (do not use "carb kits", get an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com), adjusted valves, air-tight intake system, clean charging system, etc. Avoid the "Top 10 Newbie Mistakes" and you'll be fine.

See my little website for "how to" guides to all the normal maintenance tasks.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Y'all have been great so far. Here's where I am right now.
              Petcock is fine.
              Carb boots and o rings are brand new.
              New stator.
              New rectifier.
              Carbs stripped and dipped but not rebuilt.
              New air filter and air box seals.
              New fuel line and vacuum to petcock.

So out of frustration and shear anger i started pulling plug caps. Findings are interesting and as follows. Plug 1(left side of bike if sitting on it) pull cap and bike stalls.
              Plug 2 pull cap and bike stalls
              Plug 3 pull cap nothing changes.
              Plug 4 pull cap nothing changes.

Now on 3 and 4 I did feel pulse in the wires when I pulled.

Comment

Hi,

Are the plug wires reversed on 3 and 4?

"Stripped and dipped but not rebuit"? What does that mean? There are internal O-rings that must be replaced. If the carbs were soaked in carb dip then the rings have turned to goo and are clogging up the works. Have you seen the carb rebuild guides?

Have you replaced the plug caps? At least pull off the caps, trim about 1/4" of wire from the end, and twist the caps back on. That way they are biting into fresh, un-corroded wire. You can also measure the resistance of the caps. Sometimes the internals will break and not allow the spark to reach the plug (open circuit).

Have you tried new spark plugs?

BassCliff

Comment

My apologies. New o rings yes but no diaphram or needle change is what I meant. Plug wires are right. Would the bike run and idle on just 1 and 2? Is it maybe they are coming in and out which is the bogging? Sorry used to outboards which is dead cylinder dead engine.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the engine will run, not very well, on two cylinders. Are you seeing spark on plugs 3 and 4? If so, then it's probably fuel related.

BassCliff

Comment

Ok so I cut the wires back. BassCliff you are a god and things with the bogging seemed to stop. And ohh my god the power. It was never there before. Only thing is it wants to stall at idle now like the idle is too low. Could this be because I now have a 4 cyl instead of a 2 cyl. What in god name would have caused those two to corode so bad and not the other side of the engine?

Comment

Further testing will begin once these storms are gone. I am soaked to the bone.

Comment

About to sound weird. But the exhaust smells different now too. How do I raise the idle? Manual which is from 1983 clymer doesnt really say.

Comment

Hi,

The main idle adjustment knob is just under the carbs between float bowls #2 and #3. There's a picture on my website somewhere, probably in the air intake repair guide or one of the carb pages. Downoad a factory manual from my website.

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

So the plug caps seemed to have helped until last night and this morning. Issue was back. Except today there is a new symptom. On the way to work when it fellt boggy and the bike was unsettled, as in lunge bog lunge bog, there was popping from the.exhaust while trying to maintain 55 on the highway. Also a valve tap at idle that went away above 1500 rpms Ideas?

Comment

Also just started bike back up. Pull plug 4 idle slows a little but no stumble. Pull plug 3 a little more slow but no stumble. Plugs one and two starts stumbling all over itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X