Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not even a week on the road......

......and she's letting me down

I went out this afternoon for a quick trip to the bank and for some groceries. I was about 500 yards from home coming up to a stop light and she started running like snot and as I pulled up to a stopped car she just died. I got her restarted but she seemed to be running on 3.

As I rode on she seemed to clear her throat and started running fine. I got down to the bank and did my business and after sitting about 15 minutes she started and ran fine still. Off to the grocery store about a half mile away and all good.

Came out of the store and she fired right up and ran fine all the way to the gas station where I filled up. She was totally warm by then , of course, but wouldn't start without a lot of cursing and carrying on. Heading for home she felt like she was running on 2.5 cylinders.

After parking in the garage she wouldn't fire up again unless the choke was full on so I'm thinking there is crud in the primaries again. The carbs were done for a second time about a month ago and while I put an inline filter in place, the tank was a tad rusty so something got through. I was trying to avoid sealing it until winter hiatus but that may not now be possible if I want to ride.

And I want to ride and was enjoying the hell out of it but the gods of wrenching don't seem to want me to. Well one thing about repeatedly pulling and cleaning carbs, you get a lot faster at it ( I'm trying to put a positive spin on it.

Well at least I didn't get stranded in the boonies but now there are doubts in my mind and I hate that feeling.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM.

Could be the fuel tap? If you can't find any crud in the carbs you'll have to have a look.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Could the fuel line be getting kinked with its new routing?
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I went the filter rout before I replaced my tank. There isn't enough room to rout a good sized filter without lengthening the fuel line. It would run like a champ most of the time and then sputter and cut out. The line was collapsing. If you have a small filter, it isn't big enough to supply necessary fuel. Got to get rid of the filter.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I had a similar problem. and I took the petcock apart. and found that one of the copper tabs that back up the diaghram had broken off. It must have been in just the right position to stop it from opening. sometime would not be a problem and then others it would leave me stranded. Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X