Carb Tunning a 81 GS450tx Mikuni CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Tunning a 81 GS450tx Mikuni CV

Hey guys.. I finally have Scarlett running after the top end rebuild and I am tunning the carbs. I have them bench synched and I want to make sure I understand the next steps and pilot air screw correctly.

My pilot air screw is set in the back aka next to the engine instead of the airbox. From what I have read , this indicates it will regulate the amount of AIR in the mixture. I turn the screw right to richen and left to lean. Please confirm!

Next I have read suggestions to set to 2-3 turns out and also 1 1/4 turns out for baseline on the screws. I believe that the 1 1/4 turns are what I need to use and the 2-3 are for the 4 cylinder carbs but want to confirm.

If I am going to Vacuum Sync the carbs is that all I do or would I still use the High RPM method to further dial in the carbs and then complete that using the Chop method of full throttle, kill the engine and check the plugs(Summary)

Bump......

Comment

Thats the cleaning guide i followed.. All clean new orings and intake orings.. Just need to tune now..

Comment

Yep, screw is just above the throttle butterfly pivot.

Have a look at Flaming Chainsaw's 450 carb rebuild guide on BassCliff's site and he points them out clearly.

In is leaner, out is richer.

Have you got the stock airbox and exhaust? Oiled the air filter so it's damp and not dripping?
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Sure did.. I will review.. She starts and runs great right now just want to make sure i have her dialed in.. Vacum sync this weekend

Comment

Working...
          X