Possible Jetting Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Jetting Issue?

Hey all, I have a 77' GS550 and I am having issues with my bike running at a high RPM. It does well at lower RPMs, plenty of power, but it wont run higher than about 4500-5000 it will just bog down. I am running pods and am in need of any suggestions, thanks!

i have a 78 gs550 and i was running pods, it takes so much time and patience to get these 550s running right with pods, they dont like them at all. from my experience i would go back to the stock air box. i could get my 78 550 running right with pods and went back to stock air box and it was a breeze to get running, of course this is all in my own opinion that the 550s hate pods and dont run right with them

Comment

That's what I'd really like to do but when i bought the bike it did not have the parts for the original air box

Comment

What jets do you have now?

Comment

I'm not sure, I've been trying to educate myself more on everything. My guess is what came stock with the bike

Comment

Hi babes.
            I found a neat bodge for this very problem....

The standard air box generates quite a bit ov pressure inside the long tubing and box surrounding the filter.
            With pods, there is very little back pressure created so i came up with this.....

I used an old inner tube from the bike and cut 5 inch sections out with scissors to give me 4 elasticated tubes...
            These popped over the pods and were drawn right up to the end by the carbs so they completely covered the pods. Then i rolled then up from the back to the front...
            This gives me adjustable air intake and also gives the carbs more internal suck.

If you still have a problem, you may need to upjet the Main jet up a few sizes. This will give more fuel at 3/4 throttle.
            If it runs badly under 3/4 throttle then raise the needle inside the carbs up one clip.

Hope that helps some

Seana
            Xxx

Comment

Working...
            X