Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! '82 GS450T No Start - Has Spark! Weird Mismatched Carb?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you had the valve cover off yet?
    Its easy to check the valve timing using the marks on the ignitor pickup plate and the notches on the end of the camshafts.

page 57 in the manual.

Set the notches at the right hand end of the camshafts so that they are pointing towards eachother. Check on the timing plate and you should be lined up with the T mark for the right side.

Then look at the camshaft sprockets. On the exhaust cam you will see a #2 arrow pointing straight up. Count 20 pins back to the intake cam. ( include the pin that the #2 is pointing at). After 20 pin's the 20th pin should be right on top of the #3 arrow on the intake cam.

White wire is the left coil so that's good. I wonder if the timing plate is installed backwards?
    Last edited by Mekanix; 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks Mek, I hope I can reuse the valve cover gasket since I don't have an extra.

I just made this from pics of the 'timing' plate. Does anything look backwards lol?

Comment

Looks normal.

When you tried turning it over with gas did you have the throttle open at all?

Could you make a video ?
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Carbs were completely off when I did the test.

I'll check the timing marks on the cams and the pin 'count' -then- once it's all buttoned up I'll try to make a video.

Comment

Cool, With the intake wide open and gas in there it should have kicked over and started to run for a second.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

One thing to double check with the signal generator rotor is to make sure it's on the right way around and not 180 degress out.

Rotate it so the right side of the advance mechanism is pointing up.

The side of the rotor that has the two magnetic bars on it should be pointing to the right.

If it's pointing to the left, it's 180 degrees out and needs to be unbolted and swapped around.

You can see the two magnetic bars I'm talking about in the photo you attached in post #17 above in the photo marked "Left". I can't make out the writing on the advance plate in that photo though.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well, if your sure about that then that would be the case.

The writing in the picture for the Right side has more marks on it than the left side does.

In the LEFT picture you can see the magnet is pointed to the left and not the right.

Oh and that mean's mine is wrong too, lol I didn't even notice it till now :P

Page 123 of the manual confirm's your right Pete.

Pull the timing advancer apart and you will see how it can be swapped around both ways. All you have to do is hold the weights out of the way and the center pop's out.
                Last edited by Mekanix; 07-25-2012, 03:34 PM.
                Stephen.
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                  Well, if your sure about that then that would be the case.

The writing in the picture for the Right side has more marks on it than the left side does.

In the LEFT picture you can see the magnet is pointed to the left and not the right.

Oh and that mean's mine is wrong too, lol I didn't even notice it till now :P

Page 123 of the manual confirm's your right Pete.

Pull the timing advancer apart and you will see how it can be swapped around both ways. All you have to do is hold the weights out of the way and the center pop's out.
                  Yeah I had double confirmation of this... the Dynatek instructions are where I first encountered the correct orientation...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well I pulled the valve cover (ruined the gasket) and aligned everything to TDC.

The No. 1 Arrow on the Exhaust cam is supposed to:

"point directly toward or slightly below (1-2mm) gasket surface on cylinder head" -per Clymer

Mine looks a few mm above and points parallel...

Here is the pin count:

What do you all think???

Comment

could he easily confirm it is the rotor reversed just by switching the spark plug caps to the opposite cylinder? it would try to start if the rotor was on reversed but the ht leads were switched...?

Comment

What's backwards?

Can anyone point it out? Thanks

Also, see EX cam timing post below!

Comment

According to this thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=lost+nut (post 31-35), the cam timing may be ok. I'd be nice to have one of you pros chime in. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Showdown View Post
                            Well I pulled the valve cover (ruined the gasket) and aligned everything to TDC.

The No. 1 Arrow on the Exhaust cam is supposed to:

"point directly toward or slightly below (1-2mm) gasket surface on cylinder head" -per Clymer

Mine looks a few mm above and points parallel...

Here is the pin count:

What do you all think???
                            Your cams look way off. IIRC - you are supposed to have 20 pins from #2 to #3. So 18 just won't do. [EDIT - Looked up the manual and your bike takes 18 pins. So 18 WILL do nicely.]

Lining up #1 on the exhaust cam can be a bit tricky, and it's hard to tell whether yours is too high. The pin count is bad for sure though. [EDIT Or not, since that is what the manual says.}

Redo the timing with the chain taut. Vice-grips help keep the camshaft in place while you gradually tighten the bearing caps. Count the 2 to 3 pins over and over, especially as you are tightening things down.

Before you spin the engine to confirm the timing INSTALL AND ACTIVATE THE TENSIONER or you'll have to do it all over again. AMHIK .
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Um,, wow, I see two things wrong here.

1. the manual has two settings for cam timing. One for 20 pins and the other is 18 pins. As long as the notches are almost parallel then its good. The thing is, the other model's had different cam's that you had to align to 18-20 pins but with those cam's the notches were still almost parallel. If you try and set those ones to 20 pins then you would see that the cam's just are not lined up right.

You need to set the cam's so that the notches at the end are pointed in and almost parallel with the head. Well as close as possible. If its not perfect that's ok because if it was 1 tooth off you would see a big difference in where the notch lines up. Once they are you should have 20 pins in between the arrow's

We need another picture zoomed out further to show the pin count and the notches at the end of the cam's because we don't know what cam's you have.
                              you might have the cam's that require the 18 pin's.

2. The rotating part of the advancer ( with the two lobes on it. ) are definitely installed backwards.

Easy way to tell which is which is to stick a socket close to one of the lobes of the advancer and see which one sticks. That's the one that should be forward.

The way to fix that is to take the 10mm bolt out while holding the bigger nut behind it.

Take the advancer out and hold the base while turning the lobes so that its fully clockwise. That's its fully advanced position. You then pull the rotor out and wiggle it a bit so that it comes off. You will see how the little arm weights hold it in place. Turn it 180' and set it back in to place.

You will have to hold the weights out of the way to get it lined up so that it drops right in again. It sometimes helps to take the springs off but you could manage without it.

In order to set the cam's properly you will have to remove the intake cam and set it a few teeth back until it lines up properly.

TO do this you will notice that if you rotate the engine just a little bit that there is a point where none of the cam lobes are pushing on the valves.

That's the best place to take the cam out without any load on the cam's. So it won't spring out of place while your working with it. I think it was just slightly back a bit but you can feel it when you rotate the crank that there is less load at that sweet spot.

You can remove the tensioner and allow the chain to go slack. you could make a mark on the #20 pin that you want and take the cam out to line it up and then reassemble.

IF you try and take the cam out with some load there is potential for stripping the cap bolts if you take one all the way out so work back and forth in that case.

When your done reassembling, turn the engine over by hand to see if it binds at any time. That is a sign that the cam's are not aligned again.
                              Last edited by Mekanix; 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM.
                              Stephen.
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

I really don't see how 20 pins are going to work. '82 GS450T???

Here's the pic you requested:

Comment

Working...
                                X