Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! '82 GS450T No Start - Has Spark! Weird Mismatched Carb?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Showdown View Post
      I really don't see how 20 pins are going to work.

Your right. I stand corrected. That model is the one that takes 18 pin's

Page 199 of the Haynes manual and not page 56.

I just confirmed now that the 20 pin mark is definitely for the 8 valve motor's.
      Last edited by Mekanix; 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Showdown View Post

Yes. page 123 of the Haynes manual show's that hole with the magnet in it to be facing the other way.
        Last edited by Mekanix; 07-25-2012, 06:50 PM.
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Ha ha, I just switched it... If my cam timing looks ok then - is it ok to try the gas-in-the-spark-plug test with the valve cover off, or will oil spew everywhere?
          (I've ran cars with the cover off for a sec but never a motorcycle!)

*gotta order a valve cover gasket asap lol

My $300 motorcycle purchase (non-runner) is growing on me! Thanks to you all I've finally fixed something 'wrong' that would have kept this thing from starting!

I hope that's it...

Comment

Mechanix to the rescue again!

Comment

I have done comperession tests without the cover.. You should be ok. You could loosely fit the cover with a few bolts to keep any spalshing down..

Comment

Oil does get picked up by the chain and flung everywhere, but just to hear it kick over it should be fine or if there is bits of the gasket still on the cover it should be fine just to bolt it down lightly to catch the oil splash.

While your in there, its a good time to check the valve clearances
                Stephen.
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Now I get to chime in... and everything's under control

I can confirm 18 pins for the '82 450's, exactly what I timed my cams to.

And yep, rotor was definitely 180 degrees out.

+1 on checking valve clearances with the valve cover off too, and on these 4 valve motors it's a really simple process too. Just don't rotate the motor if you have any shims removed!

Definitely glad to see there's something obvious that's definitely wrong, so even if we're not 100% there we've definitely made a good start!

I have a feeling you're gonna love that 450 even more once you get her going... these little twins are such a blast to ride

I got out for a little ride locally in some twisties today and oh yeah baby, love it!
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

+1 on the 18 pins and the 26MM float bowels. Working great for me here on my 81 450..

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                      While your in there, its a good time to check the valve clearances
                      But ONLY if the engine has not been run for at least 8 hours.

Not sure how much the "test fire" with a few drops of fuel in the inlet would affect it, but the engine needs to be "stone cold" before checking valve clearances.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It worked!!!

A special thanks to:

mpencegs - for helping with the "fuel screw" 2 turns out ("idle mixture adjustment screw" ha ha)

pete - for helping with the float level 26.6 +/- 1mm
                        -AND-
                        for saving the freakin' day by catching my signal generator rotor being 180 degrees out!!!

and I'm very grateful for mekanix's support and interest in helping me get this bike started! (and for scaring the crap out of me that my cam timing was WAY off! lol)

I took her outside after rebuilding the carbs, temporarily installing the gasket-less valve cover, and buttoning everything else up... she fired on the first crank and got to ~4k RPM with choke on.

I have new boots, float bowl gaskets, and valve cover gasket on the way... I'll check the valves as well.

Thanks again for helping me get this thing started! I'm the third owner to try and get it fixed!

*Oh, and who can forget Steve with the terminology lesson and the spreadsheet... thank you!
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Wooohooo!!! Mate it's always great to log on and see someone get an issue solved and another twin back alive

Get the rest of those maintenance tasks sorted and you'll be lovin' that 450!

sigpic

Comment

Glad I could help.. I leared a lot from this forum and was in your shoes not so long ago. She is up and running great now..

Comment

Stephen.
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                                Hahahahahaha love it!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X