Keihin Cr29mm carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keihin Cr29mm carbs

Look like im going to have to splash the cash on a new set of carbs for my 1980 Gs1085s
    been looking at a set of Keihin Cr29mm,as i have the old 28mm slide carbs at prescent time
    dont realy want to take head off to enlarge inlet ports.....
    the Crs29mm carbs come fitted with Bell mouths is this good idea on a road bike?,also im not to botherd about anymore power ,will these carbs be the answer I ask?........

Hi babes.
    id imagine theyd be fine, if your worried about sucking things like dust and small woodland animals into the engine through the bell mouths either stay away from the countryside or stick a gauze ov some kind over the mouths.
    Obviously youll have to up jet and adjust everything to work with the new carbs.

What are you going to do with the old ones?
    id love to fit slides on my GS850G.
    Im in Brighton so its nice to see another GS owner on this side ov the Atlantic...

Good luck babes.
    XXX

Comment

Carbs

are a long running saga of my carbs Aaaaarrrrhhhh,says it all a local Dinoman,I will not call him Dynoman messed them up.....
      I sent them off To Allens the Carb men to be sorted and the inquest says the Brass mixture screws the ones on the left side of carbs have all been screwed in to far and have broken off,and they can not get the small end out of each carb......

Comment

Oh dear. I wonder if its possible to get a tiny model making screwdriver inside to screw them back out... (you know what commercial workshops are like.... They seem to give up far too easily for my liking...)
        Or is it possible drill them out, using.a Pillar Drill, and tap some more in, from some different carbs.. Shouldn't be too difficult...
        I spose the trickyest thing will be getting the right profile for the base ov the screw... But im sure theres a way round that one, eh?
        A bit ov lateral thinking is needed...
        I bet i could get them out for you.
        Wana drop them off to me?
        Xxx

Xxx
        Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Greg B here knows how to fix them. I have seen him remove broken mixture screw tips from 2 sets of Mikuni RSs. Ray.

Comment

Steve - do you want to throw those carbs down here for me to have a look at? I've rescued some like that before. Not promising but maybe worth a go.

As for the Keihins I would be a bit wary of running them with just bellmouths in your neck of the woods - bit too dry (and dusty) where you are (though not this year I guess....). I know I've advocated bellmouths on road bikes before (and run some of my bikes like that) but I don't live where you do!

Alternatively, why not just pick up a set of VMs from Ebay - plenty around for £50 or so and you only need the bodies?

And your Dino guy - is he a headcase?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Steve - do you want to throw those carbs down here for me to have a look at? I've rescued some like that before. Not promising but maybe worth a go.

As for the Keihins I would be a bit wary of running them with just bellmouths in your neck of the woods - bit too dry (and dusty) where you are (though not this year I guess....). I know I've advocated bellmouths on road bikes before (and run some of my bikes like that) but I don't live where you do!

Alternatively, why not just pick up a set of VMs from Ebay - plenty around for £50 or so and you only need the bodies?

And your Dino guy - is he a headcase?
              Hi m8
              will speak to Allens on Thursday as got couple of days Holiday and see wot they have to say,as for bell mouths i currently run oval K&Ns on it ,we used to run every month down your way about 430mile round trip on the motorways,I was cleaning them every couple of months full of grit and flies that why i questioned it...
              also the Dino guy is a total prat ,I should have never even give him the time of day and not my beloved Gs,the guy who is going to set it up when i get sorted with the carbs has had about 12 bikes all with simmilar isues from that Guy....
              i wont name and shame him on the forum,but will have the last laugh some how or some time.....

Comment

I used an angled awe/scratch tool from a cheap set from Lowes or home depot and mine came out fine. Also following is from a thread

Originally posted by Hoomgar:

Remove Broken Pilot Fuel Screw Tip From VM Carb Body /w Pics
                I have a second set of vm26ss carbs that the PO had screwed all four pilot fuel screws up into the carb bodies so tight that they jammed and broke off inside the carb body plugging the pilot circuit shut. I have seen several threads in the tech section where people have this issue and want to know how to remove them. One thread just this week --> Click Here. Some have suggested drilling as well as other things. It has been stated to use caution because you can damage the hole in the carb body and render the carburetor useless. Well I have found a method that worked for me at least and I want to share it with everyone in hopes it can save us some money and aggravation when needed.

Here is the simple procedure step by step with pics:

First here is what you see when you remove your pilot fuel screws.
                Some moron has butchered them! 8O :x

OK so you get over it, have a beer, relax, look at the tip jammed in the carb body:

Sharpen a good scratch awl to a nice sharp point:
                (No this isn't to stab the PO with :twisted: )

Put the awl down through the slide opening as shown here:
                (Be careful not to scratch the walls of the slide canal)
                (Use very little force, get the awl right on the top of the tip)
                (Use just a small bit of pressure and push straight, do not twist or wiggle)
                (If it doesn't pop right out reposition and try again, it will pop out)
                (Put your finger over the end as shown to catch it if you want)

Here is proof that this works and they pop right out using this method:

The obstruction is now cleared and you can clean and dip your carb body:

All that is left is to order new pilot fuel screws. They can be found here:

They don't list them on the site but a quick email will return ordering info for them.

Hope that helps someone? It sure did help me.

Rock on!

Comment

Thanks for that tip,now is that the same to remove mine?....
                  as to me they are the ones from bottom of carb next to float bowl....
                  got a m8 who is a jeweller by trade so he thinks he can sort it out...

Comment

YeeeeeeeHhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

Well they finaly got the little feller out,should have Carbs back next week,so now i know carbs are not the cause of my misfire as we thought....
                    Going to stick with the 28mm stock carbs as was running spot on before all this.....

Comment

This forum has saved my day a few times! I have not put in the time to really understand carbs yet, but with the VM carbs guide I managed to rebuild mine with success. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X