Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petcock works on reserve, not so well in fuel setting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock works on reserve, not so well in fuel setting?

Got my bike to a point where I can start it up to balance carbs, etc..

Gas from the petcock flows fine in the fuel position at first but as the bike runs you can see an air bubble forming in the fuel line and the bike starts to bog and stalls as if it's not getting fuel. If I turn it to reserve it runs perfectly? There are 3 gallons of gas in the tank and the petcock does not leak and internally everything looked good although it's not rebuilt??

'77 GS750

My first thought was a clogged fuel vent..on cap. But then i started to wonder why it would still work on reserve? You could try running with cap off to see if that is the case. I doubt will be watching this thread to get answer i am curious.

Comment

Might be time for new petcock- the main circuit ("on" spot) should flow fuel copiously when engine runs and 3 gallons of gas in tank- seeing air in line is bad news.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Whole design seems fairly simple, think a rebuild would solve the problem. I don't think it's sucking in air.

Comment

Could quite possibly be one of these, which allows fuel to flow from each of the desired selector positions. It could be hard, flattened, grooved,
          or one side flattened, or the hole clogged. It could be restrictive enough to create a suction somewhere strong enough to take in air, like around the big O ring on the seletor knob.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Are you sure you are turning the lever the correct direction?

With the lever pointing DOWN, it is in the ON position, where it should normally be.

Rotate the lever clockwise, so the lever is pointing forward, you will be in the REServe position.

Rotate the lever anti-clockwise, so the lever is pointing backward, you will be in the PRIme position.

The PRIme position will allow fuel to flow freely. Either of the other two positions will require some vacuum from the engine to open the petcock.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So the petcock is oriented properly, what I did just realize while re-reading tutorials is that the vacuum line coming to the petcock is coming from #2 carb. and it should be from #3, is that correct? I was reading some stuff on bikecliff's site and didn't realize it was for the CV carbs. That's probably why the carb. syncing didn't go to well also.

Comment

Originally posted by Tola View Post
                So the petcock is oriented properly, what I did just realize while re-reading tutorials is that the vacuum line coming to the petcock is coming from #2 carb. and it should be from #3, is that correct?
                That is correct. The vacuum for your petcock comes from the #3 carb on your VM carbs.

Just to make sure you number your carbs correctly, #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.

You mentioned carb sync. With your VM carbs, there is no "master" carb, so there is no specific order to adjusting your carbs, just adjust the ones that are farthest from the others, you will quickly get them all the same.

Having your vacuum port to the petcock mistakenly open as if it were a vent would certainly lead to some interesting vacuum readings.

Where are you in Vermont? I have nothing to do this weekend.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

On your bike the petcock vacuum hose nipple should be on #3 carb (third from left as you sit on bike). Later models with CV carbs had vac hose comimg off #2 carb. You can test petcock for correct operation by putting some clear vinyl hose on petcock vac nipple and sucking to make sure it flows well in ON or REs spot with vacuum applied
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

So I'll switch the lines around and hopefully it will solve the problem. Carb sync was pretty interesting. I adjusted 1 & 2 then went to 3 and as I adjusted slide rpm's shot way up and all the sync fluid levels changed. Nothing like standing over a hot engine with gas fumes on a hot humid day!!

Comment

I'm really starting to appreciate my gravity fed petcocks and single carb. on my Triumph!

Comment

Originally posted by Tola View Post
                        So I'll switch the lines around and hopefully it will solve the problem. Carb sync was pretty interesting. I adjusted 1 & 2 then went to 3 and as I adjusted slide rpm's shot way up and all the sync fluid levels changed. Nothing like standing over a hot engine with gas fumes on a hot humid day!!
                        Don't let it run too long, that engine will heat up quickly and so will the gas in your tank. Put a fan on it at least! There was one post in here some time ago where the guy's header got cherry red!
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          Don't let it run too long, that engine will heat up quickly and so will the gas in your tank. Put a fan on it at least!
                          There was one post in here some time ago where the guy's header got cherry red!
                          Gee, I seem to remember that, but just can't place who that was.

But, in all fairness, that was NOT during a carb sync. That was on a bike that I had only had for a few hours.
                          Had not yet pulled the carbs for cleaning, had not adjusted the valves, I was able to get it to run, but only on full "choke",
                          and that took it to about 4000 RPM. I was in the process of trying to evaluate stator output when it happened.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Switched vacuum line to proper carb. and problem solved, petcock works perfectly, Rookie mistake! Thanks for everyones input.

Comment

We still don't know where in VT you are......

Comment

Working...
                              X