1983 gs 750 t wont rev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs 750 t wont rev

hey guys bought a gs this past weekend , my first one. it has a totally junk battery i know for sure. if i jump it it starts fine and revs smoothly but as soon as i pull the cables it wont rev at all just sputters. as fas as i can see its all stock. airbox. factory pipes etc. any help wouls be greatly appreciated.

You have a bit of work ahead of you. Clean carbs, complete inspection and repair of the harness, Brakes, valve adjustment, ect. For starters, what have you done to the bike, so far?

Welcome to the fourm.

Comment

Dear me Dave, are you trying to put the poor lad off!
      Hi babes.
      Dont worry, Sounds like youve got a good en, she jus needs a bit ov TLC.
      Defo get a new battery, it needs 12v to run properly, its not some 2stroke hairdryer you got here, she needs 12v to run and 14v to charge the battery...
      Maybe even break the bank and go fir some new spark plugs as well.
      As im not one ov the "better strip it all down and see" brigade, id get a battery, some plugs and fresh fuel and see how she rides...
      Thats the best way ov seeing what else you might need to do... DO NOT GO VERY FAST!
      jus see how she feels and come back and tell us all about it.
      Good luck.
      Xxx
      Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

cleaned the fuel tank and cleaned and replaced the vacuum line to the petcock. oil change and drive chain replacement. i was just reading in the stator papers that a dead batt can cause the issue im having. im an old 2 smoker guy and never imagined having a toasty batt would cause it to run poorly

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. josephfrantz,

This will get you started in the right direction... New Members, CLICK HERE!! The "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists. Address each item on the lists so that your bike can once again be safe and reliable. Properly cleaned carbs, properly adjusted valves, air tight intake system, and a properly functioning charging system are just a few of the necessary items. Oh, and you should ideally replace the chain and both sprockets as a set. You'll find lots of documentation in the "mega-welcome" and on my little website. Welcome to the forum.

The "won't rev" scenario is usually caused by dirty carbs or bad leaks in the air intake system, or both. To test the charging system you must start with a known good battery. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

flushed tank new battery new intake boots new plugs again new air filter and this thing is a screamer. thanks for the input everyone i am grateful for your input.

Comment

Hi babes...
              See... I told ya!
              Yyyyyaaaaayyyyyyyyy!
              Well done.
              Now, take good care ov the old lady.

no wheelies!
              Xxx

Comment

Working...
              X