Carb dip residue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb dip residue?

Okay, so I took pretty much every thread's advice on carb cleaning and dipped a couple of my carbs in Berryman's for 24 hours.

They came out like this:

Wet, and with an interesting look:

Here's what that stuff looks like on my hands, 'cause it smeared right off:

Here's the same carb body next to another carb that only spent a couple hours in the dip:

Here's how the two 24 hour carbs look after being washed and scrubbed with soapy water and rinsed out with carb cleaner spray:

And here's what keeps rubbing off, even after the cleaning:

I'm left with three options:

1) I shouldn't have let the carbs soak for so long.
    2) The soapy water messed it up (unlikely)
    3) Overzealous use of carb spray screwed it up

I really don't want to waste my time reassembling the carbs with this residue inside them, as I figure that probably won't end well.

So any ideas guys?

Tommy

Where they painted? I seem to recall someone boiling their carb bodies to remove residue and then spray with something like WD-40.
    If you do this don't leave it in too long and make sure no fragile parts are included.
    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
    1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

I didn't use carb dip, but Kleen Green.

Afterwards I let all the dipped parts soak in warm clean water for another day or so. A toothbrush also works great to remove the extra gunk.

Some WD40 or silicon spray worked great to get rid o the white, powdery residue.

Comment

A good rinse in water and spray off with compressed air and you should be good. But I agree that it looks like they were also painted.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've had this same problems off and on with carbs at times, and I just scrub the crap out of them with a scrub brush and hot soapy water. It has not really presented a problem. I blame it on the Berrymens getting some age on it. I have never had it happen with a new can.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

It's fine, it will rinse off.

I have to say though, wear some gloves bro! The Berryman's aint much to worry about, but carb spray is some truly putrid stuff.

Comment

It burns like heck if you have a cuts on your hands too

Comment

READ THE FRONT OF THE CAN...THE PART ABOUT ITS TOXIC AND ABSORBS THRU THE SKIN AND PUT SOME RUBBER GLOVES ON. THAT CRAP WILL GIVE YOU THE WORST HEADACHE IN THE WORLD!!!

Take a green dish scrubbie and some dish soap like Dawn and scrub the bodies and the grey sooty stuff will come off. If you wanna go gonzo for the shiney polished look, then use a bench grinder and a soft fine wire wheel and do them like this::
                As for the "residue inside them"..You get afew cans of acrb spray and an air compressor and douche the heck out of all the holes and orfices with the carb spray and them blow them out with the air. We PROMISE they will then be fine. Be sure to take a bread tie wire and poke out all the holes in the pilot and needle jet, as well as the holes at the base and ends of the bleeder tubes ( the big brass one hanging down from each carb body). Look right where they go into the bodies and youll see the holes there.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My carbs came out fine in Berrymans. They soaked for 24 hours, washed them off thoroughly and a good blast of air. Now painting them with high heat engine enamel.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Wash em with hot soapy water and a tooth brush.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

To add to Octains post...the dollar stores have toothbrush style brushes with brass ans stainless steel bristles..they work very well too and add a bit of bling as your cleaning.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. So I got a fine wire wheel for the bench grinder and gave the carbs a little bit of a polish. Apparently I didn't take a picture of the polished carbs, but they look much better now. I got all of that residue crap off after washing them in soapy water and scrubbing, then spraying them down with WD-40 until I was ready to reassemble them. I blasted off the WD-40 with carb cleaner, reassembled, and no they are good to go.

Funny thing though, the new o-rings I installed feel a little strange after they've been installed. When I try to screw out a couple of the air and fuel screws, the rings slide down and start getting pinched in the threads, making it very difficult to unscrew them. The rings don't get torn or anything, I just thought it was weird that would happen.

Perhaps I screwed them in too much?

Comment

Working...
                        X