VM Carb balancing on Gs1000s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carb balancing on Gs1000s

question number 1. which to buy Morgan or Davida gauges....
    2. is there a set carb on 29mm VM carbs to set other up too....
    3. where do i get imfo on learning how to do this myself......

Morgan Carbtune is the best. Bass cliff has a walkthrough on his site.

Comment

You'll have to decide which gauges you like the best! The Davida ones are a bit spendy but you can feel the quality. I haven't used the new Morgan set yet but the old style is also nice.

However, if you are just going to do your own bike every now and then Steve the cheap universal sets that copy the Davida style are fine.

Incidentally, Suzuki workshops over here got the Morgan style (but with the little balls) and the Kawasaki guys got the Davida style.

With the VMs there isn't a fixed carb like the on the BS carbs. So as long as you don't run out of adjustment it doesn't matter which ones you adjust - though it's easier to get at the outside carbs so one of the middles usually becomes the fixed carb by default (unless the 2 outsides are in balance with each other).

The manual shows how to do it pretty well (not Haynes, the Suzuki one).
      Try Youtube - here's a guy using the universal gauges on a Honda. Revs sound a bit high to me on this vid.

This video demonstrates the procedure to synchronize a carburetor on a 1977 Honda CB550. It is really important, especially for bikes of this vintage, to syn...

This guy is going it all wrong:

For Bobber/chopper Parts SimSpeedUSA.comMono shock kithttp://www.ebay.com/itm/181029981723 A little video on how synchronize the carburetors on a 1979 Honda...
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

also you can

go here - http://www.carbtune.com/

and you can find a lot of answers, they even show you how it's done....

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
          question number 1. which to buy Morgan or Davida gauges....
          2. is there a set carb on 29mm VM carbs to set other up too....
          3. where do i get imfo on learning how to do this myself......
          1. Never heard of Davida gauges, had to look them up. VERY spendy.
          2. There is no set carb on the VM carbs.
          3. The service manual should give you the basics, but the adjustments are under the carb caps.
          Remove the carb caps, you will see the adjuster screws with their locknuts.
          There is no problem having the caps off while you are making the adjustments.

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Try Youtube - here's a guy using the universal gauges on a Honda. Revs sound a bit high to me on this vid.

This video demonstrates the procedure to synchronize a carburetor on a 1977 Honda CB550. It is really important, especially for bikes of this vintage, to syn...

This guy is going it all wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rge7T...feature=fvwrel
          Yes, "try YouTube", but definitely NOT either one of those two.

In the first one, he doesn't even know how to number the cylinders, and it sounded like the engine was running about 4000 rpm.
          He also said the "pressure was about 11 psi". Sorry, but that is VACUUM, and is meaured in inches of mercury.

In the second one, he at least gets the engine speed right, but his tank is WAAAYYY too high, there is no reason to have it any higher than it would be on the bike. He also does not notice, nor appear to care, that the needles on the gauges don't start at zero, or even agree with each other, he just wants the needles to match.

Well with needles bouncing like that, how are you going to get them to match?

Both of those videos are also very misleading for the VM carbs on our GS bikes. They use different adjustments, so there is no sense confusing anybody looking for help by sending them to see these.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X