Now I know why people want PODS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I know why people want PODS

after pooping around with the stock airbox on a '82 GS450L and the intricate foam filter and it's TWO retainers for TWO HOURS I can see why people wish to rip this crap out hahahha.

i ended up turning over both retainers ( to make them fit properly) and got it in there.
    Now If the carbs were just all done sigh!!!!
    tomorrow is another day!!

I just love the space my pods allow. I admit that mostly it is pure aesthetics, but they sure do look good.

But yeah - after setting up the original CV carbs and airbox and now a bank of RS36 carbs and pods, I can definitely say that the RS carbs and pods are a heap easier to get in and out to tune. Which is a good thing because they have taken me a long time and MANY taking in and outs to tune! On my GS1100 you don't even have to remove the pods to take the carbies out.

Comment

how do you remove the airbox? i am wanting to put pods in but cant get the damn thing out

Comment

Originally posted by Zbradley1215 View Post
        how do you remove the airbox? i am wanting to put pods in but cant get the damn thing out
        Just pull and wiggle, and grip and struggle, for about an hour..... Bloodied knuckles and sweaty forehead is the look to go for...
        Once free you can throw them over your shoulder into that box ov bits in the corner...

Then if you thought that took a long time....
        Now youve got to tune the carbs for Pods!!!

Good luck babes.

Xxx

Comment

On many (but not all) bikes with difficult carb/airbox access, the secret is to pop the rear inner fender loose to free up some room.

The inner fender on these models is retained by a couple of screws and two rubber-cushioned nubs on the frame. Pop the fender loose from the nubs one side at a time.

Some bikes are just impossible no matter what.

I do agree that the filter and retainer arrangement on the 450 is criminal and idiotic... but once you learn the fender trick, it's not hard at all to remove/replace the carbs.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I swear Suzuki designed the frame around the airbox on the 450... but yeah Brian's definitely got the trick there... loosening that inner guard will definitely make it 1000% easier...

However, 1000% easier is still far from easy... guess the main reason I have pods on my 450?
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

If the 450 is anything like my 550 then it's a tight fit but not impossible. I unbolted the box for the filter from the frame and the front piece with the boots. I left the air filter box loose in the frame since there's a bunch of stuff mounted to it. Then removed the carbs. Putting it back together do the opposite, airbox with the boots in first then the carbs. With the two airbox parts separated (and the inner fender removed) it gives you a LOT more room to work with and only takes a few minutes more to remove and put back.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                If the 450 is anything like my 550 then it's a tight fit but not impossible. I unbolted the box for the filter from the frame and the front piece with the boots. I left the air filter box loose in the frame since there's a bunch of stuff mounted to it. Then removed the carbs. Putting it back together do the opposite, airbox with the boots in first then the carbs. With the two airbox parts separated (and the inner fender removed) it gives you a LOT more room to work with and only takes a few minutes more to remove and put back.
                +1on my 82....loosen airbox and it pushes back an inch or more. Carbs in and out quite easy on this model.

Comment

Originally posted by Zbradley1215 View Post
                  Remove the carbs first.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Which do you remove first; the carbs or the airbox?

Almost sounds like the classic "which came first; the chicken or the egg?" debate doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Homie View Post
                      Which do you remove first; the carbs or the airbox?

Almost sounds like the classic "which came first; the chicken or the egg?" debate doesn't it?

Most I've worked with and heard of, the carbs have to be the first thing removed.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I don't want pods...
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I would love the pods......

just not the headache of setting up the bike to run with them.....

maybe over the winter I will play with this idea....

anyone have pods they want to donate for scientific research.....

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            I don't want pods...
                            hahaha I don't either . my carbs are out and torn down, soaking in berrymans, and the air filter is in place. New intake o-rings and stainless socket heads from mr. Barr..
                            All I gota do is "git er done"

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              I would love the pods......

just not the headache of setting up the bike to run with them.....

maybe over the winter I will play with this idea....

anyone have pods they want to donate for scientific research.....
                              Maybe Pete and some others will start a 450 POD JET database lol. To me, it can't be that hard.. or can it ..everything being the same which it won't be!!

Comment

Working...
                              X