Curious on emulsion tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious on emulsion tubes

Hi again guys! Still having issues with my carbs. I have an 81 Gs 750. It has pods and custom exhaust I have rebuilt the carbs new jets up to 117s, and replaced everything in the carbs but the emulsion tubes. this is the only thing left to replace. I am curious where I can get them from any one know a place, also I have not removed them does anyone know about an o ring under them or is it just the little spacers, any help would be appreciated I have about $600 wrapped up in these carbs and I still don't have a running bike. needless to say this really sucks. I like the bike alot but the furthest I've got to ride it is about 1000 ft. I hate to say it but I almost want to get rid of it just to move on.

Get a Dynojet kit, you are just frustrating yourself trying to get it to run right without it. You "rebuilt" the carbs without removing them. WHY?? They come out easy and have tiny holes that can get plugged up easy. You dont need to replace them just soak them in cleaner properly.
    You spent $600 on the carbs Did you get them gold plated or something??

Comment

Well I Bought 4 rebuild kits plus the oring kit from a member then I still couldn't get it to run right so I sent them to a mechanic and he had to replace the diaphragms three were damaged plus jets just that alone was 350 plus his labor then it still wouldent run right so I sent it back to him and he charged me more labor so after all that I have spent a mint on nothing

Comment

Why replace the tubes? Is the orifice worn or deformed in any way?

Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

OK, the slides/diaphragms are $125 each, so we can let you slide there, but getting "rebuild kits" (probably another $100) was a total waste. Sending them off to a mechanic was probably even more waste.

Those diaphragms are the same as what are used on all 650 through 850 GSes from '80 through '83, so there is a decent chance that someone here might have them at a MUCH more affordable price.

All that is water under the bridge, though. Depending on the jets that your mechanic got you, you might still need more jets, in the form of the DynoJet kit that Gearhead suggested. By far, it is the best way to get you pretty dang close to the jetting that you need. Sad to say, though, it's about $125, but this time, it won't be a waste.

I, too, will question how you managed to clean/rebuild your carbs without removing the emulsion tubes. Once you remove the main jet and the slide with the needle, they practically fall out. If they didn't, it's probably all the CRUD on them that is holding them in place. You don't need new tubes, just clean the ones that you have.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Aside from other issues raised above...

Why do you want to replace the emulsion tubes? These are very easy to clean with a set of drills.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              These are very easy to clean with a set of drills.
              They are even easier to clean with something that has no chance of changing the size of the holes.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                They are even easier to clean with something that has no chance of changing the size of the holes.

Love you, Steve, but this is a subject on which we disagree.

Comment

Working...
                X