white smoke from left pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white smoke from left pipe

Hey guys, on my new to me 650G with 14k miles I get white smoke from the left side exhaust pipe. Idle seems to be fine, and smoke is visible at idle or under load. Floats aren't stuck and carbs are clean. Any idea what it could be?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM.

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
    Hey guys, on my new to me 650G with 14k miles I get white smoke from the left side exhaust pipe. Idle seems to be fine, and smoke is visible at idle or under load. Floats aren't stuck and carbs are clean. Any idea what it could be?
    I blame most things on petcock- try plugging petcock vacuum hose nipple at #2 carb and run bike in "prime" petcock position and see if problem vanishes- remember to turn petcock back to "on" when you aren't running!

Carbs are clean? like how?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      I blame most things on petcock- try plugging petcock vacuum hose nipple at #2 carb and run bike in "prime" petcock position and see if problem vanishes- remember to turn petcock back to "on" when you aren't running!

I took the carbs apart and checked. Was smoking before that though. Might be a stupid question but would removing the line and plugging the hole be different than just putting it in prime and leaving it connected?

Comment

White smoke, what could that be?
        Blue smoke, oil
        Black smoke, gas
        White smoke, could it be a water vapor?
        Now, I have seen a vapor come out my pipes when water from condensation got in there, or after I rode it. It took a spirited ride to burn it all out.
        But............. could it be condesation in gas, water in oil, water in pipes.
        My guess would be water in pipe. Why not the right? Water collects in the pipes and if on the sidestand migrates from the right to the left.

It's just mere speculation on my part, but I thought I'd throw some ideas out.
        Go ride it and see if it diminishes.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

So I tried that and I think it worked. How would the petcock effect that? New petcock time? Can I ride the bike as it is until I get a new one?

Comment

Also there seems to be an intermittent clicking noise from the left side of the motor. Related?

Comment

Just pulled the plugs. They're all fouled. Any thoughts?

Comment

White smoke is also oil, do a compression test, clicking also sounds like it could be busted rings. head gasket is also a possibility but doesn't explain the clicking, the compression test will verify, good luck.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Ok I'll do a test tonight. The bike has been sitting for awhile. Took it for a short rip a month ago and it felt ok. It's been sitting ever since then.

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                    Ok I'll do a test tonight. The bike has been sitting for awhile. Took it for a short rip a month ago and it felt ok. It's been sitting ever since then.
                    These carbs don't like the "sitting for a while" stuff. They may look clean inside but have some small passages that clog easily. But you said your idle was fine, so maybe you'll get lucky

Edit; stock airbox? filter element in place? does "choke" appear to turn off at carb rack? how's inside of tank look? take pic of carb to head area and post it
                    Last edited by tom203; 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM. Reason: nore info
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X