gs550 cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 cafe project

well I have an 1981 gs550 that is turned into a cafe racer. There are pods and an exhaust on it.

Now the issue I had the bike running fairly well but it was bogging on take off and idle. I did a plug chop and found the idle circuit was very rich so I got smaller piolet jets. I also found after a 25 mile ride i was a little lean at mid range(lifted the needles). Once I changed the needles and pioet jets I cant get the number one cylinder to fire!!! I have spark, when I start the bike let the other three warm up. Shut her down and check the cylinder plug that dosnt fire(its a litttle wet and black). but if I let it warm up the other three totally for 10 mins the cylinder that does not fire is just black and dry. Now the other three are perfect a lil brown on them.

Back ground on the bike. The carbs have been dipped new rings in carbs, valves have been adjusted, I did the coil relay mod, I am at a total lose here does anyone have any ideas????

Thanks to everyone

anyone ideas??

Comment

Is the plug an oily black and wet? Did you clean or swap the plug from No. 1 to rule out the plug itself?

If it's oil fouled, that could be piston rings or valves. No bueno.

Have you checked compression?

If it's dry and black now, is there fuel in the No. 1 bowl?

Comment

Remove the plug cap, cut 1/4" off the wire and screw the cap back into the wire. Check the plug for spark afterword. Your issue is probably an electrical connection in the harness if that does not fix it.
        V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment