gs450 22.4 float measurement seems ALL WRONG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 22.4 float measurement seems ALL WRONG

well I've done a few of these but tonite while checking my float levels, something seems very very wrong wrong.
    I was setting the floats to 22.4 mm, which is the mid range.. with the gasket off.. measuring to the TOP of the brass float from the carb body. when set at 22.4 mm.. the floats were hitting the carb body and BARELY touching the float needle tip"???!?@#$%%%%^^

additionally, you can see the "gas level stain" on the floats and if you move the floats up to where that stain mark on the float is level with the carb body, they are like 35MM !@#$%$%%^^^WTF????
    A few months ago, I did my other GS450 and never noticed this? and it ran absolutely perfect..ide etc...
    I have checked and rechecked and searched and everything. One other person mentioned this fact too. if the y are set at 21-24 mm they touch the carb body??? what gives??? am I going nutz??
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2012, 10:07 PM. Reason: i spel bad

if someone has a set I'm hoping they can take off the bowls and we can compare what's what.
    also, the needle jets were
    STUCK in the bowls not the carb bodies!! that made bowl removal hard. I ended up taking out the main jet and screwing in a similar threaded screw to 'push' the bowls off of the needle jets. both carbs!! I read another post that had the same problem. Am I cursed on this one?

Comment

Could retro fit some VM30's.........

Sorry Tom, I'm just signing in to see where this goes.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. Clymer has it wrong... it's 26.6mm.

At least on my '82 GS450T and some others' bikes on here.

Comment

See post #7 from "pete" from my old thread:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=197071&page=4

Comment

Same here for me.. Go with 25-26 and call it a day. There is no way the 22 would work in my float bowels. They were around 28 when i pulled them. Set them to 26 as recommended by Pete and all is good.

Comment

Tom, the Clymer is *wrong* on the float height for the 450's... and they simply have made the assumption that the 400, 425, and 450's all had the same float height.

As mentioned earlier, 26.6mm +/- 1mm is what you want
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

WOW you guys made my day! I'm off work today and now I'm Stoked to get this thing running. what throws me off is that I just did my other 450 a few months ago. the one with the plugged bowl vents.. and even more recently, the 78 GS400 , which I'm riding now. I don't remember this problem, but then my mind is going hahaha. maybe I looked it up somewhere different??
                anyways THANKS

Comment

Probably depends on the year Tom, the 83 and on carbs are different to the 80 - 82 carbs...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Probably depends on the year Tom, the 83 and on carbs are different to the 80 - 82 carbs...
                    thanks AGAIN pete.. now I can kinda think i'm not daffy! the other bikes were 78 and 82 HAHAHAH

Comment

Also since the mikunis have almost no markings on them its very easy to swap them for a different model. I have reviewed the spreadsheet that we have on bikecliffs site and it appears to truly identify your carbs you would review the jet sizing to be certain of the model.
                      Anyone know a better way to identify them?

Comment

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
                        Also since the mikunis have almost no markings on them its very easy to swap them for a different model. I have reviewed the spreadsheet that we have on bikecliffs site and it appears to truly identify your carbs you would review the jet sizing to be certain of the model.
                        Anyone know a better way to identify them?
                        I still have them apart and will will jot downt he sizes and check the spreadsheet on basscliff's site! I'm picking up bowl gaskets tomorow from my local dealer.. they just don't look too good and it would seem a most likely spot to create an air leak if the little holes and ports leaked inside the bowl where it meets the body!! since the main and idle mix pilot reside there ?? I wonder if a lot of problems are caused by them leaking??? but I most always replace them, but on my 400 I did not and of course i too have the dreaded roving idle there hahahha

Comment

Yes!!!! This was my whole issue!!! I knew something was not right... But it didn't make sense that they would be so off, once this post confirmed it... I adjusted the float and I'm good to go!!!
                          Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X