Severe flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe flooding

Hello, I have been trying to get my '83 GS850 GL running recently, hadn't had it going in over a year. I am having some severe flooding issues, to the point where gasoline is pouring out from the carb into the air filter housing, and then dumping from their to the ground. Last night I had close to a gallon of gasoline end up dumping out from from there. I am guessing, since I was cranking it for a few minutes this is what was causing the flooding, but the amount of gas that seems to be coming out seems too much to me for that period of time.

The cycle would start and run for a bit, with some back fire, but still the gas would end up pouring out. I double checked to make sure I had the hoses setup correctly, verifying them with what was posted on BikeCliff's website, since the manual didn't really have a good display of how the hoses must be connected.

I am wondering if part of it may be the plugs being pretty blackened may not be fully igniting the fuel, causing some of it to end up looking for an outlet, and finding one where the carbs pull air into them.

When gas is running out, if I pull the box containing the air filter back from the carbs a bit, to have a little gap between the carbs and the hoses directing air into them, fuel runs through this little gap created.

Thanks.

Your float valves (1 or more) are stuck down to the bottom of the bowls due to the old gummy gas residue from the evaporated fuel. Buy a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com (Robert Barr), and do a complete and thorough carb breakdown and cleaning as per BassCliff's website and you should be OK. it appears your petcock is operating properly since this only happens when you're cranking the engine.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. viper16,

Start here: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

In the "mega-welcome" you will find a couple of maintenance lists. You must properly address every item on those lists in order to have a safe and reliable 30 year old machine. Follow the proper procedures to clean/rebuild the carbs, replace the petcock, adjust the valves, synchronize the carburetors, check/clean the electrical/charging system, repair the air intake system, etc. Skipping steps and taking shortcuts mean death to your motorcycle.

When you visited my website, did you see these?

Where Do These Hoses Go?

Overflowing Carbs

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X