Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to see dirty carbs?

How about this:

My so called spare set. Actually these are the carbs that came off the bike when I got it in March. The PO told me he drained them when he parked the bike 3 years back. Somehow I think he was fibbing

As I'm having no end of trouble with the set I have put on the bike, I thought I would get this set cleaned and rebuilt but it might be impossible. I got everything out and in the dip but the primary jets. I'm hopping the dip will free them up enough that I'd be able to remove them. Things were so encrusted that I had to drive out all the emulsion tubes with a drift. It was like they were set in concrete.

I think a week or so ought to do it

Dang but this bike is fighting me all the way.

Spyug

Try dipping them in something other than sour cream.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      Try dipping them in something other than sour cream.
      Somtimes you do need a Like button.
      Thank you for the laugh.

Comment

More pictures of these wretched filthy beasts please.
        Of all my sets I have never seen ones that look this bad.

I did have a nest of insects in one bowl but they were cleaned out easily.

Comment

The only way they could get filled with rust is, from somebody running the bike with a rusty tank. PO bummer…
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The only way they could get filled with rust is, from somebody running the bike with a rusty tank
            Yup the tank was quite rusted up before I sealed it but I sure as heck didn't expect that half of it would be found in the carbs.

I must have cleaned 25 or 30 sets of carbs over my 45 years of fiddling with vehicles but I've never seen anything as bad as these. I thought the carbs on my XS650 were bad as they actually had green algae in them but these are something else indeed.

I should have known something was up as he had painted the dang things black

Well I'm hoping a long slow soak will sort them out.

Spyug

Comment

Aww, you'll get them clean. Are the weird siamese diaphragms ok?

Comment

Yes the diaphragms are fine but I don't see the rubber plugs you talk of in my other thread. I checked the manual and parts fiche and don't see them their either. Neither of the two sets I have came with them. would you have any pics of them or any more information?

cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Yes, I would have to agree those are the dirtiest carbs. How long did they sit and where?

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Yes the diaphragms are fine but I don't see the rubber plugs you talk of in my other thread. I checked the manual and parts fiche and don't see them their either. Neither of the two sets I have came with them. would you have any pics of them or any more information?

cheers,
                    spyug
                    There is no rubbeer plug inside
                    there is a sort of triangular shaped rubber that seems to be there to smooth airflow but if you do not have em it should be no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      There is no rubbeer plug inside
                      there is a sort of triangular shaped rubber that seems to be there to smooth airflow but if you do not have em it should be no big deal.
                      This is correct. Spyug's plugs must be missing, but it's no big deal. Mine were installed incorrectly when I got the bike and it took me forever to figure out the problem because they looked right. I don't think it matters much if they are missing, but it matters a lot if they are installed wrong!

Comment

The thread about the guy that bought his miracle sonic cleaner...send them to him and he will see that those will take 5 or 6 cycles to get them disassembled and relatively clean.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Want to bet Chuck? I have done much worse than those & still never had to do them more than once. Sorry if you disagree but that's the way it is with mine.
                          Ray.

Comment

Posting this just for future reference....

Here's a GS550 siamese carb without the plug mentioned earlier. If you look at the picture, the upper triangle has a hole in it that balances intake air pressure on one side of the vacuum diaphragm against the low pressure from the carb venturi against the other part of the diaphragm. Installing the plug in the top triangle blocks the hole and massively slows how quickly the diaphragm will raise the slide.

I don't think it hurts much for that plug to be missing, but it sure messes things up when it is installed in the wrong hole!

Comment

BTW, I think these siamesed carbs are a weird@ss design. I almost didn't buy the bike fearing that they'd be too hard to get parts for. I wish there were a way to change over to a conventional setup with 4 carbs, but the spacing on the head makes that prohibitive.

Comment

Working...
                              X