No announcement yet.

You want to see dirty carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes they just need a little more carb spray to clean them up.

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

OK Robert, you win

They look like they spent a couple of years at the bottom of the ocean down with the cannons and cutlasses. Maybe they should be sent to the historic finds conservators. Actually, when I pulled mine apart that's exactly what went through my mind, they looked like something from an ancient ship wreck like you see on TV.
      I'm wondering how long they will take to come clean.

I'll post the after pics if I ever get them to that stage

cheers,
      spyug

Comment

Ray..then the one at the dealership that i have acess to isnt as good as yours.. The TX carbs had AT LEAST that much or more gunk in them and it tok 4 cycles to get them apart. I was just gonna Berrymans them, but when I popped off the bowls I thought better of that idea.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          How about this:

My so called spare set. Actually these are the carbs that came off the bike when I got it in March. The PO told me he drained them when he parked the bike 3 years back. Somehow I think he was fibbing

As I'm having no end of trouble with the set I have put on the bike, I thought I would get this set cleaned and rebuilt but it might be impossible. I got everything out and in the dip but the primary jets. I'm hopping the dip will free them up enough that I'd be able to remove them. Things were so encrusted that I had to drive out all the emulsion tubes with a drift. It was like they were set in concrete.

I think a week or so ought to do it

Dang but this bike is fighting me all the way.

Spyug
          Take your time you'll get the . I've salvaged worse
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I think theres a box with a bunch of those siameses carbs at my buddies house..PM me a number because I am going over there Saturday morning and we can call you then and talk it over.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That picture looks like it is fairly clean compared with the carbs that I am trying to rebuild for my bike. It has been a 6-week "ordeal" to get them clean and I am about half-way there. It took almost two weeks of cleaning just to get the sliders to move freely. Today's plan is to finally get the butteryfly's to move as they are siezed in place. After that, I'll see if I can get the needles and floats off ...

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                OK Robert, you win

They look like they spent a couple of years at the bottom of the ocean down with the cannons and cutlasses. spyug
                Oops, just missed your chance to sell genuine relics from the Titanic…bummer.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Rather than try to screw with these, I just rebuilt another set.

Some day... I will soak these for a month or so and possibly save them.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X