serious idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serious idle problems

Ok heres the story. I'm in the midle of turning my 1981 GS550 into a cafe. I have tucked the electrics up into the seat, and installed pod filters. The cheap ones :/. Now at the moment i have 100 main jets in there, and have not touched the pilot jets. I have the screws turned out to about 3 3/4. and have not messed with the needle. I have rebuilt the carbs twice, new o-rings and new intake hoses. I have even gone through the trouble of teflon-ing the vaccuum screws. There are no air leaks that i can think of.

Heres my problem. When the bike is cold, it will die at the light. As it warms up the idle gets higher and higher, like 4-6k higher. However my adjustment to the screw has little affect. When i try to adjust it even the slightest bit, it will go down a bit and then die. The bike has great response and no loss of any power. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm at my wits end on this one.

Sounds like you still have an air leak or the "choke" plungers are not seating fully.

You have a header on there or stock exhaust? Not that it will help your (lack of) idling situation, but your main jets are only three sizes larger than stock.
    With pods (only), that might not quite be enough. If you have a pipe on there, too, that is definitely not enough.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you do anything to the intake boots ???

Comment

i have no other modifications than what i have stated, everything else is untouched

Comment

Working...
        X