No announcement yet.

Trouble with the GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah...another 3 or 4 bucks via the US post office to Norway.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, it would appear that when he knew that he was going to tear it down for the gasket replacement, he forgot all about the basics.
      Of course, he should have had the shims and carb O-rings before the tear down.
      As he has an incredibly short riding window where he is, he would rather fight with making it run fair rather than fix it.

Eric

Comment

I can order them from my parts pusher here.
        Why I don't have them isn't the problem anyway.
        Whether or not reusing the O-rings is causing blackened plugs and backfires WAS part of the problem, but now it looks like a timing issue. I'll know tomorrow.

Comment

Feel free to use this thread to fight over who can insult me most cleverly.

Comment

Good luck Hovmod. looks like you got it under control.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Yeeah, thanks.

Development:
              Set timing, using the bulb method, since the strobe wasn't working. (and yes, it was off. Thanks for pushing me there...)
              Started her up, and she ran nicely for about a minute before crapping out again.
              Different feel to it this time, though.

Re-checking timing after the failure, the bulb never lit on the 2-3 side!
              Running the starter, the 2-3 contact breaker never sparked.
              No juice to the breaker, then, but that is juice to my troubleshooting, which commences tomorrow with multi-meter, a case of new connectors, and a fresh pot of coffee.

(I also got a couple of unexpected shocks while setting timing. Not pleasent, but suggestive...)
              Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone is trying to insult you. Where you live, parts are going to be a problem. The manuals were written for a 35 year old bike. Throw the information about the pilot fuel screws out the window, it doesn't apply any more. You can not clean your carbs properly without removing those needles, and where the factory set them certainly does not apply to a worn motor. You can dial them in much better than the factory ever did. The O-ring kits from Cycle O-rings, are the right parts to use and will cost you a brick anywhere else, if you can even find the right O-rings . Robert Barr is providing an excellent service to all GS enthusiasts. I can sympathize with your short riding season. Good luck with your bike.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be whiney - it was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm happy for all the input, and also I really really want to make this bike as good as I can.
                  Of course I am guilty of trying to cut a couple of corners in order to get a few miles in before winter, but I'm also taking this seriously. So. Not feeling abused or insulted, just picking the gold between the sarcasm here.

I know now: forget what the manual says.
                  First time cleaning carbs I followed the advice in two books. Don't really feel embarrassed for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
                    just picking the gold between the sarcasm here.

Entertaining me, I might add .

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I figure by next riding season the bike will be 1000 percent perfect....

Comment

Haha.
                        My trip to Oslo on Monday looks like it's going to be by plane.

Comment

I get your point. Not wasted.

Double checked the Suzuki Manual, and it says to align the T mark.
                          Perhaps you are thinking of the markings on the camshaft sprockets? There's a warning about being extra careful getting the angular position of the sprockets on the shafts..?
                          (I didn't touch that, btw - visual inspection and then left them alone)

Comment

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
                            X