X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fuel in carbs

Hi all.
    I have 1980 GS450e.
    My problem is that motor was running year ago. After ptting it in a garage I didnt empty carbs. Now when I tryed to start it I figured out that there is no fuel in carb bowls at all. I disconected fuel line from petcock to see if petcock is working and it does when I am starting.
    I did open up carb bowls and checked if float needles are moving and they do but bowls are dry.
    Also I tryed to blow air trough supply gas line to see if air is going trough and it does.
    Could this be something simple to fix it? I know it would be the best to rebild carbs but at the moment I am not close to any supply places where I would be able to find rebuilt kits plus I am on my vacation and dont have much time to play with the problem like this.
    Just wondering if there is maybe simple solution to solve this problem?

Thank you all for looking....

Hopefully you got a petcock with "prime" spot- move to there and fuel should flow towards carbs even without cranking. Check by openning fuel bowl drains-if still nothing tap on bowls in case needle seats are stuck.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Hopefully you got a petcock with "prime" spot- move to there and fuel should flow towards carbs even without cranking. Check by openning fuel bowl drains-if still nothing tap on bowls in case needle seats are stuck.

No "prime" spot on petcock. Drains were open (that is how I check if fuel is coming in) but nothing is coming out.
      Tryed tapping on bowls too, still nothing

Comment

Here I go again. Carbs are cleaned and synced. Engine is staring but has rough idle and cant set it up to stay on 1200 rpm. It is going from 1500rpm down to 900 rpm.
        Took petcock a part, cleaned it nicely even though there was no dirt at all. Also took a part piece where vacoom membrane is and now am wondering if this membrane can couse low flow of gas? It looks like it is a bit stretched, not ripped at all and no holes on it.
        Is something like this possible and can it couse problem on gas flow to carbs??

Comment

Yes, petcocks get mucked up. You said that your petcock had no prime spot (leverless)- many 80's had this petcock design, but I thought the 450's had a petcock with lever. What's the bolt spacing on petcock mount- 44mm centerline or 50 mm?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, petcocks get mucked up. You said that your petcock had no prime spot (leverless)- many 80's had this petcock design, but I thought the 450's had a petcock with lever. What's the bolt spacing on petcock mount- 44mm centerline or 50 mm?
            Bolt spacing is 1 3/4 inch or 44 mm. I am more concerned about vacoom membrane. I will try to post a picture of it so if someone can tell me if it looks ok or no.

Comment

Originally posted by Inblues View Post
              Bolt spacing is 1 3/4 inch or 44 mm. I am more concerned about vacoom membrane. I will try to post a picture of it so if someone can tell me if it looks ok or no.

Comment

big pictures......

you will need to resize them a bit....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  big pictures......

you will need to resize them a bit....LOL
                  Trying to figure that out....

Comment

could be a setting with the hosting site ?

Comment

Originally posted by Inblues View Post
                      Don't waste your time repairing a 32 yearold petcock- replace and eliminate petcock as a problem. The one in link below is likely what your bike had when it left factory ( lever with prime, on, res spots- I got same one in March for my bike $45

1981 gs650L

Comment

Comment

Don't waste your time repairing a 32 yearold petcock- replace and eliminate petcock as a problem. The one in link below is likely what your bike had when it left factory ( lever with prime, on, res spots- I got same one in March for my bike $45

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...S750%2C/Detail
                          I agree with you Tom but I am in Croatia right now (bike is here too), and it is pain in the *ss to go trough castoms here for so small part so was thinking if I try to order membrane, they can put it in mail envelope and is here in 5 days without going trough hassle with customs.

Comment

not sure if this will work, but if you take out the membrane and put back together the petcock, it will be free flowing, right ?hopefully it won't leak all over the place either....

take it for a ride and seeif you still have the same issue....if yes it's not your petcock, if no then the petcock mikght be resticting the flow

just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              not sure if this will work, but if you take out the membrane and put back together the petcock, it will be free flowing, right ?hopefully it won't leak all over the place either....

take it for a ride and seeif you still have the same issue....if yes it's not your petcock, if no then the petcock mikght be resticting the flow

just a thought...
                              I was thinking about same thing but my only concern is, will I overflow carbs? Plus, I would have to unplug vacoom hose from carb in order not to suck gas in vacoom valve

Comment

Working...
                              X