Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed carb intake boot o-rings and......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed carb intake boot o-rings and......

Sadly no change. She will not hold an idle.

Before even changing the o-rings ( and they did need changing, they had shrunk and didn't look like they were sealing all that well) I took off the inline filter and it did seem to run better and would hold an idle of around 1200 rpm. I did notice that when blipped, there was a bit of throttle lag and it was slower to come back down I thought.

Now I can fiddle with the idle screw and again it makes no difference. Dialling it in 8 or 10 turns has no effect as mentioned before. I have to think this is indicative of something but of what I can't say.

As it runs down from idle, its almost like it is running out of gas so it makes me want to think its going super lean some how.

At this point, I have fresh o-rings on order from Mr. B and I guess I will rebuild them one more time with new rings. If that doesn't sort it I have absolutely no idea what to look at next.

To recap so far:
    Carbs cleaned and rebuilt with fresh o-rings approximately 2 years ago. Fully dipped and recleaned 3 more times since then as grit was detected in the fuel.
    Bike ran fine for 45 minutes 2 weeks ago. No missing, free revving and pulled well in all gears. Then idle started to drop at stops and eventually bike dies. Had been running with an inline filter of low capacity.
    Running on its centerstandf and I?V bottle with inline higher capacity filter cannot get it to hold idle. Blipping throttle makes bike die instantly.
    Today bike ran and held idle when in-line filter removed. Intake boot o-rings were replaced, no inline filter, no changes to carbs and now won't hold idle once again.

If anyone has any more/new ideas I'd love to hear. I think a liquid lunch is now in order

Many thanks friends,
    Spyug

Does using the choke help at all when the rpms are dropping? It could be a lot of things, it kind of sounds like its running rich at idle because using throttle kills it. It could be electrical too, are you getting good spark? Did you do a bench sync when the carbs were apart and then a vacuum sync? What do your plugs look like at idle? Are they wet and black or white/clean?

I just did my carbs and did a bench sync ad the bike ran like ass until I did a vacuum sync, you can hear the engine smooth out and once I set the idle screws I was good.

Comment

Oh, check the petcock BTW, it may be as simple as that going bad and starving the bike of fuel. Try setting it to prime and she if fuel flows, then attach it back on the bike and try starting it on prime.

Comment

Well its not the petcock as I'm running on an I/V bottle at the moment and the carbs have been bench synched and vacuum synched out the ying yang. I'll admit that I haven't looked at the plugs but all leads fire (checked with a spare plug resting on the block). I'll check the plugs

Applying choke will recover the idle but turning in the idle knob does nothing at all.

In my experience, as i've stated before, turning in the idle knob immediately causes an increase in revs so something is definitely not kosher in the carbs, I'm sure.

It sure is an oddball situation friends.

cheers,
        spyug

Comment

Hey Spyug, I too am having mysterious problems. What have you done on the electrical end? Can weak electronics cause weird running? My bike starts, idles, runs smooth all the way up the RPM's. But she's slow and the throttle has no effect after 1/4 turn.
          I drive it, its smooth and runs clean (Plugs are nicely tanned), but its about as fast as my '95 Camry.
          I'm going to dig into the electronics this week.

Comment

Idle knob, are you sure it's in correctly, and it is pushing against the bar that will open and close the butterflies, is actually doing something, or did you perhaps turn it out so far that it's not doing anything anymore, is it all back together correctly, mine has a spring is yours there, being that you took it apart so many times, maybe you missed something ?

once your redoing the O rings, double check everything once more, just to make sure each and every part of the carbs is on the way it should be..

Don't make me have to spend my 2 weeks of holidays at your place to get this bad boy running......actually it wouldn't be so bad, better than having to paint my place as per the wife....... ;-)

Cheers

Comment

I was wondering the same thing, the idle knob opens the butterflies as you turn it in. It should raising the idle...

Comment

[QUOTE
                I was wondering the same thing, the idle knob opens the butterflies as you turn it in. It should raising the idle...
                ][/QUOTE]

Well yes. that's what I've been saying and pondering over. it doesn't do anything, so there definitely is something very wrong here. I wish I cdould figure it out.

Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Working...
                X