Gas Tank vent white smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank vent white smoke?

Ok so Im a new owner of a 82 gs650gl and just got it running today. I noticed on the side of the tank there are a few ports one for fuel which goest to the center of the carbs one for vacuum to pull fuel from the tank which goes to the left of the carbs. And a third gold nipple coming out the side of the tank ware the fuel indicator meter is.

When I started the bike it was hard to start but then started idling on it own. Took it around the block a few times and got maybe up to 40mph pulled good and strong all the way threw but when I got backed I noticed the revs were hanging around 2500 to 3000 and not dropping and there was white smoke coming out of this gold colored nipple. I figured this is suppose to be routed to the crankcase or maybe the intake or carbs but I can't find out if any one could help that would be great.

Comment

I have that but I can't find that hose anywhere in the manual.

Comment

That "gold colored nipple" is simply a catch cup in case the fuel sending unit springs a leak. It doesn't make sense for it to be blowing out white smoke as you mention. There is supposed to be a long tube attached to the nipple, routed down along side the rear wheel (not in line). In the event of a seal leak the catch cup will keep raw fuel from raining down on top of the hot engine.

There should be a tube attached to the top of the engine valve cover, then routed back to the airbox. This tube routes engine blow by gases back to the airbox where they can be recycled. My guess is the tube is not attached on your bike and you just thought the smoke was coming from the sending unit. Check it out carefully to make sure the sending unit is not leaking.

Oh, and you can clearly see the parts involved using the Suzuki parts fishe...http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm Look in the fuel cock section.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          That "gold colored nipple" is simply a catch cup in case the fuel sending unit springs a leak. It doesn't make sense for it to be blowing out white smoke as you mention. There is supposed to be a long tube attached to the nipple, routed down along side the rear wheel (not in line). In the event of a seal leak the catch cup will keep raw fuel from raining down on top of the hot engine.

There should be a tube attached to the top of the engine valve cover, then routed back to the airbox. This tube routes engine blow by gases back to the airbox where they can be recycled. My guess is the tube is not attached on your bike and you just thought the smoke was coming from the sending unit. Check it out carefully to make sure the sending unit is not leaking.

Oh, and you can clearly see the parts involved using the Suzuki parts fishe...http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm Look in the fuel cock section.
          Ok I do see a small hole on the back of the airbox on the battery side that looks like it should have a hose going to it but its not very long. Do you have a picture of what the nipple on the valve cover looks like I feel stupid because I don't see it.

Comment

O Thank You!
            Ok so I looked I don't have that breather hose so that should be going to the back of the air box correct?

Comment

breather option

Many years ago I replaced my breather hose with a braided steel line. It has never been a problem as I no longer have an air box for the breather to go to.

It dumps out below the swing arm. See photo. I hope this works as it is the first photo I've posted.

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jdmfreak1992 View Post
                  Ok I do see a small hole on the back of the airbox on the battery side that looks like it should have a hose going to it but its not very long. Do you have a picture of what the nipple on the valve cover looks like I feel stupid because I don't see it.
                  That "small hole" (nipple) is a drain for air filter box- no hose there- in case you get caught in heavy rain
                  Last edited by tom203; 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM. Reason: clatity
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone I have all the lines strait now. My next question is what would cause rev hang? When I first start the bike it will idle super high then 3 to 4 thousand then in a few minutes it will settle down and Idle at around 1000rpm. Then I will take it for the a ride after the bike is warmed up and if I ride it for a while then stop it will hang up again and idle high. It will also fluctuate about 500 rpms like its got a cam in it.

I have pulled the carbs and taken the bowls off when I got the bike last week and cleaned out both the jets and the float needle. How ever I never took out the seat that the jets sit in. Could it be that or maybe a torn diaphragm? It's just an idle problem the bike pulls hard all the way threw the gears.

*just did some more searching and found out the idle hang can be caused by the orings leaking in the carb boots* does that sound right?
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmfreak1992 View Post
                      Thanks for the help everyone I have all the lines strait now. My next question is what would cause rev hang?

*just did some more searching and found out the idle hang can be caused by the orings leaking in the carb boots* does that sound right?
                      Yes,very likely, or the boots themselves; you "disturbed" their fit when you pulled carbs. 30 yearold rubber might be hard to clamp tight.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        Yes,very likely, or the boots themselves; you "disturbed" their fit when you pulled carbs. 30 yearold rubber might be hard to clamp tight.
                        It must be the o-rings the boots were very pliable and not hard at all almost like they were new. I also used a hair dryer to to heat them up before I removed the carbs just to try to make them even more softer so I didn't rip them. I looked them over good and didn't see any rips or holes in them. Are there O-ring on both sets of boots the ones in front of the carbs and behind?

Comment

No, just one set of o-rings, they are on the intake boots, the tubes between the carbs and the cylinder head.

Since you have not yet cleaned your carbs (properly), you might want to consider doing that. You can get the intake boot o-rings at the same place you get the o-ring kit for the carbs, along with new stainless screws to hold the boots in place. Order them from cycleorings.com. (The heads in the stock screws are likely to strip when you try to remove them.) With clean carbs and new o-rings, you will just be a valve adjustment away from a GREAT-running bike.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            No, just one set of o-rings, they are on the intake boots, the tubes between the carbs and the cylinder head.

Since you have not yet cleaned your carbs (properly), you might want to consider doing that. You can get the intake boot o-rings at the same place you get the o-ring kit for the carbs, along with new stainless screws to hold the boots in place. Order them from cycleorings.com. (The heads in the stock screws are likely to strip when you try to remove them.) With clean carbs and new o-rings, you will just be a valve adjustment away from a GREAT-running bike.

Think Im going to have to do that was hoping I would get lucky with just cleaning about the bowls but today I took it for a ride and it started ****ing gas out the vent tube on the plastic intake manifold.

Shesh I guess it just shows do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again...... out with the carbs.

Comment

Working...
                            X