Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seafoam carb spray

the other seafoam -
    rode out today to get the fuel additive, I got the spray intake cleaner from seafoam as well. I'm sure some of you have used it before - it was a first one for me, and I'm quite impressed.
    Throttle response, smooth idle, no flat spots, seems like the motor gained power, and all of it almost immediately!
    Highly recommend this

You sprayed this in the tank instead of pouring in the liquid?

Please clarify exactly what you sprayed.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have never used the Spray but have been happy with the results of the gas treatment.
      Glad to hear it worked well for you.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The magic of Seafoam is to hook up a line to where you synch the carbs, let the bike take small sips out of the jug or even the spray, let the engine recover and burn it all out before adding more. The bike will smoke a lot but it's motor getting cleaned out. You do this maybe 9- 10 times per cylinder. You will see performance increase like no other.
        It is also great for adding to the gas- cleans the carbs and stabilizes fuel for 2 years!!!

Comment

Hey Steve,

As per instructions on the can - this one is to be sprayed directly into carbs' air intakes, while the motor's running on higher than idle rpm's. Motor chokes up a bit and coughs up losts of thick gray smoke, which is normal - you then shut it down for 5 min and let it settle, aftrer which you proceed to "ride agressively" - as the instructions say.

My bike actually wouldn't start till I cleaned up spark plugs - they were pretty wet. After that it was behaving erratically for first mile or two, and then.. dude, it's like you don't need fifth gear on the highway anymore. No flat spots, better acceleration, smooth idle - best product I got so far.
          I did not know seafoam makes more than fuel additive.
          Cheers

Comment

All the spray does is clean spark plugs and valves. Does nothing to the carbs.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

BS- SEAFOAM cleans carbs, crankcases, intakes and valves. It has to be applied correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                BS- SEAFOAM cleans carbs, crankcases, intakes and valves. It has to be applied correctly.
                The spray does nothing for the inside of the carbs if sprayed through the throat.
                Seafoam inside the tank helps clean the inside of the carbs. Does not replace a good carb cleaning.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef is 1000% correct. Thru the carb throat is just spraying it staright thru and into the cylinders.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    The spray does nothing for the inside of the carbs if sprayed through the throat.
                    Seafoam inside the tank helps clean the inside of the carbs. Does not replace a good carb cleaning.
                    I think I agree with Chef as well. My carbs were cleaned a year ago or so, but the product definitely changed the sound of valves, the engine sounds and feels sharper. My bike has been sitting for decades before I bought it, hence the improvement most likely.

Good product anyway. Not sure if it does nothing at all for carbs, likely not much, I think the regular use of fuel additive would do better. But man, my throttle response improved big time.

Try it for yourself, however - instructions call for a half a can per session, which I think is an overkill - go quarter or a third at most, and don't rush it. Make sure you're on clean fresh fuel with no additives. Then enjoy!

Comment

As I stated, must be applied correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
                        The magic of Seafoam is to hook up a line to where you synch the carbs, let the bike take small sips out of the jug or even the spray, let the engine recover and burn it all out before adding more. The bike will smoke a lot but it's motor getting cleaned out. You do this maybe 9- 10 times per cylinder. You will see performance increase like no other.
                        It is also great for adding to the gas- cleans the carbs and stabilizes fuel for 2 years!!!
                        Adding Seafoam to the engine in the above manner will do nothing for the carbs... it's already past the carbs when it enters the combustion chamber.

I use Seafoam reguarly in my fuel tank for its fuel stabilization properties - I'm sure it's also cleaning my carbs too.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                        X