Carb rebuild issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild issues

Alright gents I am in a bit of a pickle....I am rebuilding the carbs on my 750 which has been running for several years reliably. I got a stage 3 kit from dynojet and having them soak in carbdip for at least 24 hours, got a new o-ring kit and here is where I run into the problem. Everything went fine initially have the new kits installed and then I carefully drill out the mixture plugs, works great, and the mixture screws are frozen solid on 2 carbs.

Has anyone encountered this problem and been able to break them loose? Any help on tips or tricks for getting them to loosen up would be great!

Originally posted by mlymanz71 View Post
    Alright gents I am in a bit of a pickle....I am rebuilding the carbs on my 750 which has been running for several years reliably. I got a stage 3 kit from dynojet and having them soak in carbdip for at least 24 hours, got a new o-ring kit and here is where I run into the problem. Everything went fine initially have the new kits installed and then I carefully drill out the mixture plugs, works great, and the mixture screws are frozen solid on 2 carbs.

Has anyone encountered this problem and been able to break them loose? Any help on tips or tricks for getting them to loosen up would be great!
    The mixture plugs should have been done first, then get the screws out, then proceed with dip, ect. If your having trouble with the screws some use heat and a proper fitting screwdriver. In the past I have let soak in PB Blaster for a day with sucess. Now that I have an ultrasonic cleaner I would try and let sonics bust it loose. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
      The mixture plugs should have been done first, then get the screws out, then proceed with dip, ect. If your having trouble with the screws some use heat and a proper fitting screwdriver. In the past I have let soak in PB Blaster for a day with sucess. Now that I have an ultrasonic cleaner I would try and let sonics bust it loose. Good Luck

Yeah I realized I should have pulled them first but I guess I subconsciously like to learn the hard way! Now that is a great idea! I had not thought to use the ultra sonic cleaner! We have one for reloading downstairs, might have to give that a try. Anything I should be wary of when doing it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by mlymanz71 View Post
        Yeah I realized I should have pulled them first but I guess I subconsciously like to learn the hard way! Now that is a great idea! I had not thought to use the ultra sonic cleaner! We have one for reloading downstairs, might have to give that a try. Anything I should be wary of when doing it that way?
        I would use heated solution (if available) of water & simple green (or Dawn dish detergent). Suspend over from a hook or use the tray in the cleaner. You don't want the body touching the bottom directly, cuts down the effective action

Comment

As nejeff mentioned, heat, penetrating oil and a good-fitting screwdriver are good tools.

If that doesn't do the job, you may have to break out your Dremel tool with a large cut-off wheel so you can cut a slot down the tower and cut a fresh groove in the top of the screw for a better 'bite'.

When you are done, it will look like this: (both carbs have been 'slotted' for mixture screw removal)

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow well its good to know I am in some good company here in the land of stuck mixture screws Going to try and work on it tonight and see what happens. If not then I know I will be all geared up to work on it tomorrow after seeing all the pretty bikes out at the bonneville salt flats

Thanks for the help guys I will give the ideas a run and let ya know how it works out!

Comment

Wow, my mixture screws have never been out in 32 years, they came out fine. Thank God lol.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Wow, my mixture screws have never been out in 32 years, they came out fine. Thank God lol.
                You are lucky! If things went the way they should I would be a little worried tho

Well I was a little more tired than expected after Bonneville yesterday so I will be digging into the carbs tonight!

Comment

Working...
                X