Gassing while running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gassing while running?

Hey guys, my bike doesn't like to start when the engine is hot. This becomes an issue anytime I need to get gas. My question is, what would happen if I opened up the gas valve and filled it up while the bike was running? Assuming I had a semi-full tank so the carbs wouldnt suck air. Is this possible or does the valve create some sort of vacuum necessary to feed the carbs correctly?

While not recommended, you can fuel up while the engine is running.
    What is a gas valve, please?

Comment

I mean the part at the superior wall of the tank, where you put the key in and take it off. Gas cap is what I meant. Man sometimes these mornings are just rough

Comment

O.K, you had me wondering. Rather than post an answer based on supposition, I had to ask.
        So no, the vacuum is created by the engine to the fuel petcock, so you would be fine. Just be sure and don't spill any fuel on the engine. That might be a very bad thing.

Comment

Where are you that the gas station will allow you to fill up while leaving the engine running?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Of course you understand your bike is not running properly and should be fixed....
            Just sayin'
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              Where are you that the gas station will allow you to fill up while leaving the engine running?
              Village Pantry, 7 Eleven, pretty much all the self-serve mini-marts.

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Of course you understand your bike is not running properly and should be fixed....
              Just sayin'
              He has a thread going on that. It's in work.

Comment

I would be very, very, careful if I were going to do that and I wouldn't top it off either. I would be careful even if I turned the engine off. Gas and hot engines, pipes are the potential for a fire.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  He has a thread going on that. It's in work.
                  Oops...my apologies...
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Well, I don't see any great temperature difference between just having been shut off for refueling and still running, so....

Although, I guess with a running motor and all electrical systems 'live', there's probably much more potential for a source of ignition.

A real concern would be unlocking the gas cap. On my bikes, I'd have to carry a separate key. I can only unlock the gas cap with the ignition key, which, of course, has to be shut off to remove.

Be careful, in any case!

Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      I would be very, very, careful if I were going to do that and I wouldn't top it off either. I would be careful even if I turned the engine off. Gas and hot engines, pipes are the potential for a fire.
                      I agree completely. Personally, I would rather keep a 5 gallon jerry can at home and fill it from that with the engine off and cold, but that's just me.

Comment

Yea koolaid that is the wise thing, and is exactly why I keep a gas jug filled with gas from the gas station which is luckily on my block. But supposing I ride for more than 120 miles I would be screwed. So that's why I asked.
                        Hopefully I will never have to but if I ever had to be somewhere fast it's a good piece of knowledge to have

Comment

Working...
                        X