Tank fitment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank fitment.

Have seen a lot of posts "what tank fits, will this fit etc. Was thinking would be nice to see a thread dedicated to tank fitment. There are some myself included who do not care if our bike is factory spec we just want to ride. with tanks for these 30+ year old bikes finding a replacement is getting hard and expensive. So what I've found to fit the 1978 GS1000. 1980-81 GS1100 16 valve tank purchased from salty-monk. There was no modification other than trimming the rubber tank mount ears [insert correct name here] salty sent a ground top cap for #1 VM carb but was not needed for install on my bike.

The other tank so far is the 1980GS1000That was id'ed in another thread as chain drive. with no major modification other than trimming tank mount rubbers. The petcock is mounted farther back than on the 78-79 so there's no issues with the VM carbs, in fact there's more room for petcock and hoses. The issues are petcock has no prime so installed a 1/4" tee in the vacuum line with extra hose and cap, bolt whatever to be removed to apply suction to fill float bowls and seems to work fine.

Am sure this is no revelation to many here, but some of us need enlightened myself included. Please add as you like.

Thank you. Ray Murphy.

the 82 gs tank will fit the 78 gs1000 frame

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper0001 View Post
      Would that be a '82 GS1100E tank?
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper0001 View Post
        Good to know. Will put that in my notes.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          Would that be a '82 GS1100E tank?
          I would assume but you know what happen when we assume.

Comment

Lets see,
            I have an '82 GS1100EZ and a '79 GS1000E and I would say it doesn't fit.
            The rear mounts are different, the 1000 has a one bolt hole in the middle and the 1100 has two mounting holes on the side.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

In 82, didn't they have an E, GL (a.k.a. L), G and GK model? And aren't all the tanks different?

Comment

GSX1100 / 750 et and ex and GS1000 chain drive 8 valve bikes have tanks that will interchange.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  In 82, didn't they have an E, GL (a.k.a. L), G and GK model? And aren't all the tanks different?
                  What size motor, model are you asking about?
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    GSX1100 / 750 et and ex and GS1000 chain drive 8 valve bikes have tanks that will interchange.
                    And as far as I know, those are the only tanks that will be a direct bolt-on.
                    sigpic
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X