Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to clean carbs for the first time in my life

Good morning,
    well today my bike would not start (it did crank but wouldnt start) and since the only evidence that the carbs are clean is the PO's assurance, I feel like its about time to quit procrastinating and learn how to do this. The oil sometimes smells like gas, the choke seems to work better when its only half out and just acts strangely, and these things might be carb-related.

So, I have ordered a Morgan carbtune, the colour tune, and their carb tool.

In addition, I have ordered a full set of rings, intake boots, and fasteners from cycleorings.com. Also, I am planning to buy a set of four carb gaskets from Z1. I have also been advised to get the 5mm adapter from Z1 and will order it once I figure out if I need to order one of them or four of them.

Finally, I have ordered a set of #2 #1 and #0 JIS screwdrivers so I dont strip out any screws.

What other supplies will I need? I plan to get some carb dip from the local autoparts store. And hose to connect the fuel tank while it is off the bike. Anyone have any recommendations for this? Can I leave the vacuum line disconnected and set the petcock to PRIME? or will I have to get another long hose for the vacuum?

I need to make sure and cover every base here because it is my only form of transport. If anyone has done this and thinks there is anything else I need to find please tell me because once the carbs are off I am not going anywhere

Also, once all this stuff gets here, would someone mind sending me a PM with their number? I will be doing it on a weekend and if someone has some free time to answer any questions I might have it would be very much appreciated. I was very close to selling this bike until it started to work very well for the last two months. Luckily I have a couple weeks to work on it before I start my new job.

Thank you!

Give me a call as soon as you get the PM...I got a few min utes this AM..I had the same bike.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi babes.
      Its really not that difficult...
      If i can do it (about 20 times) you can do it...
      Id recommend not splitting them as you can totally refurb them whilst still on the carb-rack.

Good luck.
      Xxx

Comment

I use a radiator overflow tank from my local auto parts store, about $10. I use long zip ties to hang it from my handlebars to best simulate the level of the fuel tank (an important issue, as pressure on the needle and seats increases with height, it's a gravity thing). You just plug the vacuum line with a phillips screwdriver.
        Walmart has the best price on the carb dip, less than $20.
        You will want to replace those JIS screws with stainless steel allen screws. I do all of them, not only on the intake boots but also all of them on the carbs. JIS issue no longer an issue, and they look a lot cooler. But you will need a set of metric allen wrenches.

Comment

OK, let's comment on them as they happen:

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
          Good morning,
          well today my bike would not start (it did crank but wouldnt start) and since the only evidence that the carbs are clean is the PO's assurance, I feel like its about time to quit procrastinating and learn how to do this.
          Very good attitude, I like it.

The oil sometimes smells like gas, the choke seems to work better when its only half out and just acts strangely, and these things might be carb-related.!
          For the oil to smell gassy, you need to have problems with the petcock AND the carbs, so rebuilding the carbs might only solve half the problem.

It is quite normal for the "choke" to work best at less than FULL. Personally, it makes me cringe to hear a cold engine fire up and head to 4-5000 RPM on full "choke". I try to keep cold revs down to 2000-2500, if possible. Eventually, you will find that "sweet spot" on the "choke" lever that allows easy starts with minimal revs.

So, I have ordered a Morgan carbtune, the colour tune, and their carb tool.

In addition, I have ordered a full set of rings, intake boots, and fasteners from cycleorings.com. Also, I am planning to buy a set of four carb gaskets from Z1. I have also been advised to get the 5mm adapter from Z1 and will order it once I figure out if I need to order one of them or four of them.

Finally, I have ordered a set of #2 #1 and #0 JIS screwdrivers so I dont strip out any screws.
          Wow, nothing like jumping in with both feet. All good choices. You will need FOUR of those brass 5mm adapters from Z1.

What other supplies will I need? I plan to get some carb dip from the local autoparts store. And hose to connect the fuel tank while it is off the bike. Anyone have any recommendations for this? Can I leave the vacuum line disconnected and set the petcock to PRIME? or will I have to get another long hose for the vacuum?
          The favorite dip here is Berryman's, but if you can't find that, Gunk works just as well. One hose for the fuel will be fine. Turn the petcock to PRIme to fill the carbs, turn it to RUN to turn the gas off. Be sure to plug the hose to the vacuum port on carb #2 when you do this, or you will chase your tail trying to sync the carbs. One other suggestion: when you have the tank off the bike and feeding it with a longer hose, try to keep the tank about the same height as it would be on the bike. Not necessarily a "supply", but a tip: when you install the mixture screws, turn them out 3 turns from lightly-seated. This will act a bit as a "choke" by providing a richer mixture when you start it, and will give you a decent point from which to start your fine-tuning.

I need to make sure and cover every base here because it is my only form of transport. If anyone has done this and thinks there is anything else I need to find please tell me because once the carbs are off I am not going anywhere
          Hopefully you can start this on Friday, the weekend of Labor Day. Depending on how nasty the carbs are (the bike is running, so they might not be too bad), we suggest dipping the carbs for up to 24 hours each. If you feel you can get by with about a 12-hour dip, you can dip one carb Friday night, another Saturday, the third on Saturday night, the fourth one on Sunday, then have the bike running Sunday evening, leaving Monday for fine-tuning and test rides. If you are able to put two carb bodies in the can of dip at the same time, it can be that much quicker, but I have never been able to fit two carbs in the can at the same time.

Also, once all this stuff gets here, would someone mind sending me a PM with their number? I will be doing it on a weekend and if someone has some free time to answer any questions I might have it would be very much appreciated.
          PM will be sent in a few moments.

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
          Id recommend not splitting them as you can totally refurb them whilst still on the carb-rack.
          Yes, it is possible to "refurb" them by changing (SOME of the) o-rings and gaskets, but you really need to split the rack to change the o-rings in the fuel transfer tubes between the carbs. It is also MUCH easier to dip carbs 2 and 3 if they are not in a complete rack. The only downside to splitting the rack is the need to verify carb sync after re-assembly, but you already have the Carbtune on the way, so it doesn't matter.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

soaked the final carb last night.

Each carb is connected to the next by a connector, for fuel I believe. THe passage I am talking about here is where the silver fuel tube goes, not the T-connector. Its the hole closer to the float bowl. There is a passageway in each carb, one opening is on the top (with the float bowl facing up, where the inlet / needle assembly goes), that splits into two lateral holes on either side of the carb. These holes are where the carbs connect to each other. They connect via the straight connectors, not T-connectors.

But on the fourth carb (and I'm assuming the first one as well) there isn't a "next" carb on one side, so the hole that would connect to the next carb is plugged. When I was cleaning the fourth carb I accidentally poked through this material (it was not very hard material). Then the Berryman's dissolved it anyway. long story short is that I am afraid that with this hole unplugged, fuel will gush out of the side of the carb.

It seems like I can't force air through the passageway (using my mouth) one one side of the fourth carb, while the other side can be blown through freely. But I want to be sure. Is this passageway plugged with something other than that material that dissolved away? Should I replace the material with something?

Comment

I didn't see any of these posts mention it quite this way, if you already know it, my apologies, but the Z1 adaptors come as a 4-piece set, #MP08-0013,, and it's also very handy advice (straight from Steve) to cut a 3/4" (or so) piece of 3/16" fuel line to use as a grip for screwing the adaptors in.
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

I do have the adapters but didn't know about the hose. Thank you.

With bench sync, how close does it have to be? Just eyeballing it (ie hold the throttle open a bit and adjusting till it looks right) I have it so carbs 4 and 3 are airtight with the throttle closed. I test those by blowing into the butterfly part with them closed. But carb 1 makes a low whooshing sound and carb 2 makes a whistle when I blow into them with the throttle closed.

What does it all mean??? And is there a better way to bench sync?

Comment

get a paper clip, have them all seated to it, and your good to go

Comment

Can you explain? Would I use two clips, and adjust the two carbs so that both butterflies are seated on the clips?

Comment

each carb is individually adjusted, each butterfly is adjusted individually so that it's just sitting on the paper clip, or a small drill bit, needle etc....

if each butterfly is touching the paper clip the same amount then they will all be the same at the end

Comment

So just tO be sure, I take a paper clip and rest the butterfly on it, slightly open, on carb A. then on carb B I put another paper clip under the butterfly and adjust until it also is just resting on the clip?

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                          each carb is individually adjusted, each butterfly is adjusted individually so that it's just sitting on the paper clip, or a small drill bit, needle etc....

if each butterfly is touching the paper clip the same amount then they will all be the same at the end

Hmm...isn't 2&3 adjusted by the same adjustment? Only 1 and 4 have individual sync adjustments.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            Hmm...isn't 2&3 adjusted by the same adjustment? Only 1 and 4 have individual sync adjustments.
                            my bad sorry for that

Comment

So just tO be sure, I take a paper clip and rest the butterfly on it, slightly open, on carb A. then on carb B I put another paper clip under the butterfly and adjust until it also is just resting on the clip?
                              It is rather hard to judge how hard the throttle blade is pressing on ANY object in there, whether it's a paper clip or a drill bit.
                              Personally, I use light shining through the carb to make my adjustments.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                              Actually, #3 is the "master" carb on the BS series (CV type) carbs, so the only "adjustment" you can do on it is with the idle speed control under the carbs. The sync adjustment between 2&3 will synchronize #2 to #3, but you have to be aware that #1 is slaved off the other side of #2, so any adjustment between 2&3 will also affect #1.

In case you did not know, the factory-recommended sequence is #2, #1, #4.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X